Ethernet not working after attempted Linux install

1 post in this topic

I installed OS X on my new build a few weeks ago, and decided later that I wanted to try to set up a multiboot. I tried installing Arch Linux, but cfdisk wouldn't work on my harddrive, so I used a Sidux Live CD to use gparted to add ext4 and fat32 partitions for Linux and Windows.

I tried again to do a net install with Arch, and everything went smoothly until installing Grub. I tried putting it onto the same partition as /, but it wouldn't work, so I tried installing it to the MBR, planning on later chainloading, which still didn't work. I figured I would go do some more reading, but after getting back into OS X, I couldn't get on the internet.

System Preferences says that my ethernet cable is either not hooked up, or the device at the other end is not responding. I tried using my Macbook, and the ethernet is definitely working. I tried booting into Sidux, and still couldn't get on the internet (I could before), so I don't think it's a drivers problem. I'm using a GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0, by the way. The light next to my ethernet port is still turning on, so it doesn't seem like a hardware issue.

So what is going on here? How is this possible? Any help with the multiboot issues would be appreciated too, but for now, priority is getting internet up. Let me know if any other info would be helpful.

EDIT:

Do you think that reinstalling would fix it? I'm tempted to rewrite the partition table anyways (it's currently GUID, which I think causes problems with multiboot setups).

EDIT: Seems to have fixed itself. Mysterious.