Upgrading my Hackintosh

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So basically I'd like to start upgrading my current hackintosh setup over the next couple of months but I'm completely torn between putting more money into my existing LGA775 system and ditching the board,cpu,ram and stepping up to an LGA1366 setup.

My current specs are:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Intel E7600 Wolfdale 3.06

2 x 2GB G.Skill DDR2

BFG 7900GT 512MB

Antec 750W PSU (overkill but i got it to cover future improvements)

Currently air cooled with a Thermaltake SpinQ but hoping to water cool it sometime this year.

I was entertaining the idea of swapping out the E7600 for a Q9550 and adding another 2x2GB of ram but the more I shop around the more I'm wondering if its a better idea to get away from the older tech LGA775 and put the money into some more modern components.

The big issue that is making me a little weary of LGA1366 is OS X compatibility. I bought my board specifically because of the strong support the community was giving it at the time. I used Stell's lifehacker installer and am very spoiled with the ease of install and subsequent ease of use I've enjoyed.

What are your opinions? I guess I know its more logical to buy new tech but I'm just hesitant to go off wandering when I have such a stable setup.

Thanks in advance for your input! ;)