ASUS R1F Snow Leopard 10.6

deek

4 posts in this topic

So I'm revisiting my OSX install that I have on my ASUS R1F. I was able to get 10.5.2 installed and mildly working for what I needed at the time (Pwnage Tool). Now I'm trying to get Snow Leopard working and I've been digging around on the internet and I've decided I needed some help from the community on trying to get this to work.

Here is the install process to this point.

I restored the Snow Leopard disk to a 8GB USB Stick from within my working 10.5.2 install. I made sure that GUID was selected during this installation.

After the restore was finished I installed Chameleon 2.0 RC4 on the USB stick with the following commands per the instructions I found. My USB was listed as disk1 when I typed "diskutil list" in the terminal.

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2
sudo cp boot /Volumes/HackintoshInstall/

Now I scoured the 'net for some kext's to get the install going. Luckily I found something that worked. I extracted the /Extra/Extensions folder from the legacy hardware iso at http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/boot-132-for-snow-leopard/ (direct link to file here) and copied it to the USB stick. I fixed the permissions and created a Extensions.mkext file using the following commands.

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/HackintoshInstall/Extra/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/HackintoshInstall/Extra/Extensions
sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/Hackintoshinstall/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Hackintoshinstall/Extra/Extensions

From this I was able to boot the USB and start the installer only when the -f switch was used. The installation went smoothly with no errors. Once installed I rebooted again from the USB and selected my install (SnowTablet) and it would boot only with the -f switch. I filled out the registration information and was taken to the desktop. The following pieces of hardware were not working.

• Wireless - Atheros AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter
  • Keyboard & Trackpad
  • Display - Intel GMA950 - Device ID 0x27a2 Revision ID 0x0003

Now I read around and it looks like my system was booting into the 64-bit kernel which is why my wireless and my display were not working. The keyboard and trackpad are an easy fix and I am skipping them for now because I can use either my bluetooth keyboard and mouse or USB ones. Also my wired network was running fine. I checked that I was in fact booting into 64-bit kernel by running

uname -a

Which showed

root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

From what I read is that there is no 64bit IntelGMA950 kext available so I tried to boot into 32bit mode by specifying arch=i386 at the Chameleon boot splash screen. Still using the -f flag the computer will go through the boot process but dump me into a grey screen with semi-random hard drive usage. The computer will not leave this screen.

I noticed during the boot process that my wireless adapter showed up so I imagine that it will work if I can boot in. I've spent the last week trying all sorts of different things to get the display to load the kext not to mention QE/CI acceleration. I've tried so many different things with varying degrees of success I could never seem to recreate when I tried to do it again that I thought starting anew and going about it more systematically would be helpful. I'm shoot for a system that can be updated through system update.

Where do I start? I have a DSDT dump from linux but am not sure what to do with it other than specify it in the bootloader. I'd like to avoid randomly throwing kext's at it if at all possible. Is using the EFI partition what I should be trying to do? Should I install the bootloader on the disk in a similar fashion to the USB stick or do I need to find working kext's first?

I'm hoping some member of the community could provide their expert skills to help me troubleshoot this problem. Below is the output of lspci from Ubuntu 10.04 so you can see what hardware I have.

NOTE: I have also tried updating to 10.6.3 via the Software Update menu item. The update was applied with no problem and I was still able to boot into the 64bit kernel but the same problem existed with the 32bit kernel.

ASUS R1F

CPU: 1.67GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 4GB 667MHz DDR2

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub [8086:27a0] (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a6] (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 [8086:27d0] (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 [8086:27d2] (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 [8086:27d4] (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:27c8] (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:27c9] (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:27ca] (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:27cb] (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:27cc] (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge [8086:27b9] (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller [8086:27c4] (rev 02)
05:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0024] (rev 01)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 01)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here are my steps to getting my R1F to run Snow Leopard. I have only one major outstanding issue and that is screen rotation.

BOOTING THE INSTALL DVD

I started with a dual boot system with Windows 7 and OS X 10.5.7 using a combination of the Windows 7 bootloader and Chameleon. The hard drive had the MBR partition table (not GUID).

I created two further new partitions using Parted Magic LiveCD, one partition of 5GB and one of 65GB (so I had four in total).

I restored the iATKOS S3 version 2 iso image to the 5GB partition using Disk Utility in the existing 10.5.7 installation.

The iATKOS S3 partition was detected by Chameleon on reboot and the install ran perfectly and fast. I used the default options in the install.

OVERVIEW OF POST INSTALLATION ISSUES

After the installation completed I had the following issues to address.

1. Built-in keyboard and trackpad not working at all.

2. Touch screen working (both mouse moves and clicks) but not accurately calibrated.

3. LCD screen working only in 1024x768 resolution.

4. No screen rotation (for that iPad experience!)

The wireless card worked straight away but I explain why below.

BUILT-IN KEYBOARD AND TRACKPAD

I installed* the PS/2 kexts from the myhack website here: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads. In case that specific link is broken by the time you read this the file you need to search for is ApplePS2Controller.zip.

During installation I received system messages that the kexts could not be used but both the keyboard and trackpad worked perfectly after reboot.

(*see my separate section about installing kexts below).

That is a really simple fix but it is worth mentioning a few points that I found out along the way.

First, iATKOS S3 version 2 has an option to install PS/2 kexts. These did not work for me.

Secondly, you probably need a keyboard so you can get by while you are fixing these issues. A USB keyboard will do but I found that my Logitech DiNovo bluetooth keyboard was happily accepted by OS X at the keyboard wizard that appears after first reboot.

Thirdly, if you can hook up the R1F to your LAN you can control it using VNC from another computer. This is a bit chicken and the egg since you will need a working mouse and probably keyboard to enable VNC control (see Sharing in System Preferences) but it has the added benefit that if in experimenting with the display you find the R1F internal screen has gone all grey, you might be able to get the VNC virtual screen to give you full colour so you can then fossick around in OS X to see what is going on.

TOUCH SCREEN

The big surprise for me from the iATKOS S3 version 2 installation was that the touch screen worked straight away. Every report I had read about Snow Leopard on the R1F suggested that the touch screen would just be one big mouse button. Not so with iATKOS. The mouse pointer was very responsive. The only issue was that the visible mouse pointer would be at the edge of the screen when the pen was touching the screen an inch towards its centre.

I found a Wacom installer file called cons510-3_int.dmg and ran the installer. I do not really know what it did. As a minimum it installed a system preferences pane that included a calibration option which I used. This fixed the problem.

I tried Tablet Magic but it achieved nothing.

LCD SCREEN RESOLUTION

Now this one is weird. To fix this issue I did two things.

First, I ran an installer package called JaS.10.4.8.GMA.950.Support.pkg. As I understand it all this does is replace AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext in /System/Library/Extensions with the same file from a Tiger installation. Yes! Tiger! Who knew? (I also ran pfix straight after this step: see installing kexts below).

Secondly, because that is solely a 32-bit kext, I set the system to always boot in 32-bit mode by adding arch=i386 to kernel flags in com.apple.boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/.

I tried a variety of other solutions proposed for the Intel GMA950 card including installing Sony Vaio kexts but these did not work.

SCREEN ROTATION

The drivers for the Intel GMA950 just do not appear to support screen rotation.

I have managed to get the screen to rotate using an app called DisplayTwister. If you use this on the default R1F resolution of 1280 x 800 you end up with part of the screen blank and the visible screen scrolls from top to bottom. You can get a third party tool called SwitchResX which enables you to create a resolution of 1280 x 1280. Then when you use DisplayTwister you at least have no blank section on the screen but you still have part of the screen scrolled out of sight.

DisplayTwister is tantalising because it shows that even though the drivers are not available it is possible in software to get screen rotation. However, it is too slow and the screen scrolling is a pain. Finally, it does not map the touch screen so there is no correlation between the pen activity and the mouse point which somewhat destroys the point of a tablet.

There is a project at Modbookish that does not work with the R1F yet but maybe one day.

So, the display rotation looks like a real problem because the display drivers do not support it and even if that can be fixed, the Wacom tablet drivers also need to rotate.

I am at a dead end on this part of the R1F for now.

WIRELESS CARD

I had already replaced the hardware. This is an essential fix since no-one anywhere that I can see has ever worked out how to make the Intel wireless cards work in OS X. The new wireless card is a Dell Truemobile 1390 available on ebay for AUD$13.99. The installation is pretty easy following the instructions at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/23354-opening-r1f.html.

KEXT INSTALLATION

Above I have not specified how I went about installing kexts. Typically, as I found the solutions to specific problems I also learned generic techniques. It is somewhat frustrating when you are trying to fix specific problems not to be able to find in any one place any guidance on generic techniques and not to be able readily to tell from a set of instructions which bit is a solution to the specific problem and which bit is a generic technique.

So, very briefly, here is my generic technique for kext installation in 10.6.3 that I found worked very well. This technique is similar to what I used in Tiger and Leopard but is not exactly the same. Before any kext installation back up the extensions folder (see below).

First, if you are replacing any existing kext (as opposed to adding kexts that do not exist in your system yet) you will need to send the existing kext from /System/Library/Extensions to the trash. Right click on it in Finder and select move to trash. You will be told you cannot do this but there should be an Authenticate button which you can press and then you will be prompted for a password.

Secondly, copy the new kexts to /System/Library/Extensions. I do this by opening two Finder windows, one for my Downloads folder (with any kexts unzipped) and one for /S/L/E. Drag the kexts from Downloads to /S/L/E. (Authenticate deal again). Note you cannot combine these first two steps. If you try to drag and drop to replace an existing kext you do not get the authenticate option.

Thirdly, open a terminal window and type pfix. You will need to download and install pfix from myHack but it is a fantastic tool. It takes care of all of the permissions fixes for kexts and it rebuilds the kext caches.

Fourthly, reboot.

It is not an essential part of kext installation but it saved my bacon a number of times having a back up of my extensions folder. OSX86Tools is now defunct and some of its functions seem unreliable in Snow Leopard. For example, I did not find its kext installer any use. It simply refused to install the PS2 kexts which are now what makes my keyboard and touchpad work. However, OSX86Tools' extensions backup and restore features are very handy. If you install a new kext and it causes problems you can use these features to roll back the changes. Just remember to do the backup before the kext installation. If you only make little changes each time you hopefully will still be able to boot in safe mode and run OSX86Tools to restore your kexts.

MISCELLANEOUS TIPS

Here is a grab bag of potentially useful tips that I encountered on the way through which I am afraid I can only be vague about. These are all based on my experience and of course your mileage may vary because who knows, maybe it was what I had for lunch that day that made it work.

If you need to resize a HFS+ partition (e.g. to make empty space for the new Snow Leopard install partition) you can use Parted Magic but you will need to turn off journalling first. You can resize a HFS+ partition using the Leopard Disk Utility but this seems only to work on GUID partition maps, which I do not think you can have if you want to multi-boot with Windows.

I found that the best order of installation for dual boot is Windows 7 first then OS X using a distro that includes the Chameleon boot loader. The Chameleon installation will probably break your W7 boot loader and Chameleon seems to only pass control to that boot loader so it has to be there. To reinstate the W7 boot loader I booted off the W7 install DVD, went to repair, then the command prompt and typed the following:

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootsect /nt60 c:

diskpart

> list disk

> select disk X

> list partition

> select partition Y

> active

Substitute the number for X the number of your disk as shown by the first list command.

Substitute the number for Y the number of your W7 partition as shown by the second list command.

I sometimes found that Disk Utility run from an OS X install DVD could not create an HFS+ partition on the MBR partition mapped disk even where there was free space available. My cumbersome workaround was (1) create the empty space using Partition Magic (2) use Parted Magic to make an HFS+ partition in the empty space. (3) Because that partition was not recognised by the OS X install DVD I went to terminal (when booted from the install DVD) and ran fdisk -e /dev/diskX, where X is the number of your physical disk according to Disk Utility. I then used the command edit to change the partition code to AF. The partition was then recognised by the OS X Disk Utility.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting such a good reference guide, your instructions are really good and accurate. Any luck with the screen rotation?

Here are my steps to getting my R1F to run Snow Leopard. I have only one major outstanding issue and that is screen rotation.

BOOTING THE INSTALL DVD

I started with a dual boot system with Windows 7 and OS X 10.5.7 using a combination of the Windows 7 bootloader and Chameleon. The hard drive had the MBR partition table (not GUID).

I created two further new partitions using Parted Magic LiveCD, one partition of 5GB and one of 65GB (so I had four in total).

I restored the iATKOS S3 version 2 iso image to the 5GB partition using Disk Utility in the existing 10.5.7 installation.

The iATKOS S3 partition was detected by Chameleon on reboot and the install ran perfectly and fast. I used the default options in the install.

OVERVIEW OF POST INSTALLATION ISSUES

After the installation completed I had the following issues to address.

1. Built-in keyboard and trackpad not working at all.

2. Touch screen working (both mouse moves and clicks) but not accurately calibrated.

3. LCD screen working only in 1024x768 resolution.

4. No screen rotation (for that iPad experience!)

The wireless card worked straight away but I explain why below.

BUILT-IN KEYBOARD AND TRACKPAD

I installed* the PS/2 kexts from the myhack website here: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/downloads. In case that specific link is broken by the time you read this the file you need to search for is ApplePS2Controller.zip.

During installation I received system messages that the kexts could not be used but both the keyboard and trackpad worked perfectly after reboot.

(*see my separate section about installing kexts below).

That is a really simple fix but it is worth mentioning a few points that I found out along the way.

First, iATKOS S3 version 2 has an option to install PS/2 kexts. These did not work for me.

Secondly, you probably need a keyboard so you can get by while you are fixing these issues. A USB keyboard will do but I found that my Logitech DiNovo bluetooth keyboard was happily accepted by OS X at the keyboard wizard that appears after first reboot.

Thirdly, if you can hook up the R1F to your LAN you can control it using VNC from another computer. This is a bit chicken and the egg since you will need a working mouse and probably keyboard to enable VNC control (see Sharing in System Preferences) but it has the added benefit that if in experimenting with the display you find the R1F internal screen has gone all grey, you might be able to get the VNC virtual screen to give you full colour so you can then fossick around in OS X to see what is going on.

TOUCH SCREEN

The big surprise for me from the iATKOS S3 version 2 installation was that the touch screen worked straight away. Every report I had read about Snow Leopard on the R1F suggested that the touch screen would just be one big mouse button. Not so with iATKOS. The mouse pointer was very responsive. The only issue was that the visible mouse pointer would be at the edge of the screen when the pen was touching the screen an inch towards its centre.

I found a Wacom installer file called cons510-3_int.dmg and ran the installer. I do not really know what it did. As a minimum it installed a system preferences pane that included a calibration option which I used. This fixed the problem.

I tried Tablet Magic but it achieved nothing.

LCD SCREEN RESOLUTION

Now this one is weird. To fix this issue I did two things.

First, I ran an installer package called JaS.10.4.8.GMA.950.Support.pkg. As I understand it all this does is replace AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext in /System/Library/Extensions with the same file from a Tiger installation. Yes! Tiger! Who knew? (I also ran pfix straight after this step: see installing kexts below).

Secondly, because that is solely a 32-bit kext, I set the system to always boot in 32-bit mode by adding arch=i386 to kernel flags in com.apple.boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/.

I tried a variety of other solutions proposed for the Intel GMA950 card including installing Sony Vaio kexts but these did not work.

SCREEN ROTATION

The drivers for the Intel GMA950 just do not appear to support screen rotation.

I have managed to get the screen to rotate using an app called DisplayTwister. If you use this on the default R1F resolution of 1280 x 800 you end up with part of the screen blank and the visible screen scrolls from top to bottom. You can get a third party tool called SwitchResX which enables you to create a resolution of 1280 x 1280. Then when you use DisplayTwister you at least have no blank section on the screen but you still have part of the screen scrolled out of sight.

DisplayTwister is tantalising because it shows that even though the drivers are not available it is possible in software to get screen rotation. However, it is too slow and the screen scrolling is a pain. Finally, it does not map the touch screen so there is no correlation between the pen activity and the mouse point which somewhat destroys the point of a tablet.

There is a project at Modbookish that does not work with the R1F yet but maybe one day.

So, the display rotation looks like a real problem because the display drivers do not support it and even if that can be fixed, the Wacom tablet drivers also need to rotate.

I am at a dead end on this part of the R1F for now.

WIRELESS CARD

I had already replaced the hardware. This is an essential fix since no-one anywhere that I can see has ever worked out how to make the Intel wireless cards work in OS X. The new wireless card is a Dell Truemobile 1390 available on ebay for AUD$13.99. The installation is pretty easy following the instructions at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/23354-opening-r1f.html.

KEXT INSTALLATION

Above I have not specified how I went about installing kexts. Typically, as I found the solutions to specific problems I also learned generic techniques. It is somewhat frustrating when you are trying to fix specific problems not to be able to find in any one place any guidance on generic techniques and not to be able readily to tell from a set of instructions which bit is a solution to the specific problem and which bit is a generic technique.

So, very briefly, here is my generic technique for kext installation in 10.6.3 that I found worked very well. This technique is similar to what I used in Tiger and Leopard but is not exactly the same. Before any kext installation back up the extensions folder (see below).

First, if you are replacing any existing kext (as opposed to adding kexts that do not exist in your system yet) you will need to send the existing kext from /System/Library/Extensions to the trash. Right click on it in Finder and select move to trash. You will be told you cannot do this but there should be an Authenticate button which you can press and then you will be prompted for a password.

Secondly, copy the new kexts to /System/Library/Extensions. I do this by opening two Finder windows, one for my Downloads folder (with any kexts unzipped) and one for /S/L/E. Drag the kexts from Downloads to /S/L/E. (Authenticate deal again). Note you cannot combine these first two steps. If you try to drag and drop to replace an existing kext you do not get the authenticate option.

Thirdly, open a terminal window and type pfix. You will need to download and install pfix from myHack but it is a fantastic tool. It takes care of all of the permissions fixes for kexts and it rebuilds the kext caches.

Fourthly, reboot.

It is not an essential part of kext installation but it saved my bacon a number of times having a back up of my extensions folder. OSX86Tools is now defunct and some of its functions seem unreliable in Snow Leopard. For example, I did not find its kext installer any use. It simply refused to install the PS2 kexts which are now what makes my keyboard and touchpad work. However, OSX86Tools' extensions backup and restore features are very handy. If you install a new kext and it causes problems you can use these features to roll back the changes. Just remember to do the backup before the kext installation. If you only make little changes each time you hopefully will still be able to boot in safe mode and run OSX86Tools to restore your kexts.

MISCELLANEOUS TIPS

Here is a grab bag of potentially useful tips that I encountered on the way through which I am afraid I can only be vague about. These are all based on my experience and of course your mileage may vary because who knows, maybe it was what I had for lunch that day that made it work.

If you need to resize a HFS+ partition (e.g. to make empty space for the new Snow Leopard install partition) you can use Parted Magic but you will need to turn off journalling first. You can resize a HFS+ partition using the Leopard Disk Utility but this seems only to work on GUID partition maps, which I do not think you can have if you want to multi-boot with Windows.

I found that the best order of installation for dual boot is Windows 7 first then OS X using a distro that includes the Chameleon boot loader. The Chameleon installation will probably break your W7 boot loader and Chameleon seems to only pass control to that boot loader so it has to be there. To reinstate the W7 boot loader I booted off the W7 install DVD, went to repair, then the command prompt and typed the following:

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootsect /nt60 c:

diskpart

> list disk

> select disk X

> list partition

> select partition Y

> active

Substitute the number for X the number of your disk as shown by the first list command.

Substitute the number for Y the number of your W7 partition as shown by the second list command.

I sometimes found that Disk Utility run from an OS X install DVD could not create an HFS+ partition on the MBR partition mapped disk even where there was free space available. My cumbersome workaround was (1) create the empty space using Partition Magic (2) use Parted Magic to make an HFS+ partition in the empty space. (3) Because that partition was not recognised by the OS X install DVD I went to terminal (when booted from the install DVD) and ran fdisk -e /dev/diskX, where X is the number of your physical disk according to Disk Utility. I then used the command edit to change the partition code to AF. The partition was then recognised by the OS X Disk Utility.