Can Not Boot When USB Device Inserted

tylre212

5 posts in this topic

My problem is that if I have a USB device such as an external hard drive or a printer plugged in when I boot, it will not boot. If anyone could help, that would be great. :)

My specs are:

10.5.8 with Qoopz 9.8.0 kernel

Biostar TA790GXB Motherboard

EVGA Geforce 9800GTX+

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor

SATA Hard Drive and Disk Drive

If anyone could help, that would be great. :D

It sounds like it could be a motherboard BIOS issue.

Check if the boot device order in your BIOS changes by itself when your USB drive is connected.

/EDIT

wait.. are you saying that you cannot boot with any kind of USB device connected?

Try disabling legacy USB support and see if that fixes it.

If that helps, then (assuming you're using Chameleon 2.0 or derivative) try adding USBBusFix = yes to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

Then enable legacy USB support again.

If you're not using Chameleon 2.0 you can read here how to manually install and set up the latest version:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209712

• 4 weeks later...

I have the oposite problem in that I can boot to Snow Lepoard from a USB containing NBI_083F but get KP when I try to boot from Chameleon without the USB. I have tried RC1 through 4 and have also tried manually loading the elements of Chameleon (loading only the but I keep getting a KP (Version Mis-match with CPU) at boot. Again I have no problems booting from the USB containing the NBI-083F image. My system is a netbook Gigibyte T1028X with Atom Processor N280 1.66GHz with 1 GB ram and 945GSE Express Chipset+ ICH7M for graphics. I successfully installed vanilla 10.6.0 and everything works except my webcam. Here is my KP screen. Any ideas for help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a screenshot of my KP.

post-567628-1278440368_thumb.jpg

[name=Beerkex'd' date='Jun 9 2010, 12:24 AM' post='1485055]

It sounds like it could be a motherboard BIOS issue.

Check if the boot device order in your BIOS changes by itself when your USB drive is connected.

/EDIT

wait.. are you saying that you cannot boot with any kind of USB device connected?

Try disabling legacy USB support and see if that fixes it.

If that helps, then (assuming you're using Chameleon 2.0 or derivative) try adding USBBusFix = yes to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

Then enable legacy USB support again.

If you're not using Chameleon 2.0 you can read here how to manually install and set up the latest version:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209712

Here is a screenshot of my KP.

delete the sleepenabler

BOOT FROM DVD INSTALL(TERMINAL)

DELETE KEXT

cd /Volumes/YOUR-VOLUME-NAME/System/Library/Extensions

rm -rf sleepenabler.kext

MOVE KEXT

mv /Volumes/PARTITION NAME/System/Library/Extensions/sleepenabler.kext /Volumes/PARTITION NAME/FOLDER

pmVersion=0 (Disable SleepEnabler)

pmVersion=17 (10.6.0/1)

pmVersion=18 (10.6.2)

pmVersion=19 (10.6.3)

pmVersion=20 (10.6.4)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466

IF YOU HAVE THE DUAL BOOT (MAC OSX/WINDOWS)

use MacDrive

delete the kext

reboot with -f -v