Using Macbook Pro recovery disc to install?

2 posts in this topic

So I have my latest Hackintosh all built. I modded a PowerMac G3 case to fit my MSI-P55-GD45 motherboard (which I understand is great for OS X), and I even have a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse and an Apple keyboard. Needless to say, all that's missing is OS X.

I downloaded an install disc (Hazards 10.6.1/10.6.2 Intel/AMD disc) and for some reason I can't get it to get past the Apple boot screen. I've tried -x for safe mode, and verbose mode doesn't give me any information because immediately after it loads the HFS drivers (or that's what I'm assuming it's doing) my machine reboots without giving me a chance to read any error messages!

Other guides have talked about booting a legitimate Snow Leopard install disc with some fancy USB trickery ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/Chameleon type stuff), except I don't have a legitimate Snow Leopard disc.

However, I DO have a Macbook Pro Snow Leopard recovery disc from the MBP I purchased in November. Is there any way to use this disc? As I recall, these things seem to be locked to particular hardware, which may make things difficult for me.

Sorry for the long winded post, I just thought I should be as descriptive as possible when talking about my situation.

If you try to use a cd-boot to boot that dvd, maybe you can boot it (the snow leopard dvd), but you can't install from it (to other then the comp that came with). I tried that once (with a macbook pro leopard disc) and it got me to the welcome screen, but that's as far. You need the retail dvd (the 29$ disc) to be able to install retail method.