First Startup Problem

3 posts in this topic

So I have an interesting problem I can't seem to find out about anywhere. I was able to successfully install retail SL (10.6, no updates) on my setup (see sig) but when I start up for the first time and it tries to load the intro movie, I get the "This computer must restart" message which looks like a kernel panic to my newbie eyes, and I suspect it has to to with the graphics kexts I am using. I am not exactly sure which, so any pointers would be helpful.

Any ideas? I am still new at this so I am stumped. As far as I can tell the kernel loads just fine, no errors when I specify -v, but if I do, it hangs on a black screen. If I don't specify -v, I get the "This computer must restart" error.

Turns out it was a kext problem. As I did some more research I found a couple threads describing a similar problem, but only with a hang rather than a panic. I removed all of kexts from /S/L/E which started with NV* (rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*) and it started right up. Now I need to find a way to get graphics acceleration back without breaking things.