Safely Updating?

7 posts in this topic

I built a Hackintosh about a year ago, not long after Snow Leopard's release.

I'm currently running Mac OS X 10.6, on an Asus P5W-DH Deluxe.

I don't remember the details that well, but I created a special boot disk, then swapped in my retail OS X 10.6 disk to get a Vanilla Snow Leopard install.

I finally hit the point where I can't install new software- specifically, the XCode 3.2.2 and the iPhone 3.2 SDK- without updating. However, I lost track of the Hackintosh scene after I got it working.

How do I go about updating to 10.6.3 without breaking anything? What do I have to worry about breaking?

Thanks all.

I built a Hackintosh about a year ago, not long after Snow Leopard's release.

I'm currently running Mac OS X 10.6, on an Asus P5W-DH Deluxe.

I don't remember the details that well, but I created a special boot disk, then swapped in my retail OS X 10.6 disk to get a Vanilla Snow Leopard install.

I finally hit the point where I can't install new software- specifically, the XCode 3.2.2 and the iPhone 3.2 SDK- without updating. However, I lost track of the Hackintosh scene after I got it working.

How do I go about updating to 10.6.3 without breaking anything? What do I have to worry about breaking?

Thanks all.

If it is a retail install you should be able to update straight from Apple, I was able to update to 10.6.2 without any problems, however i'm not sure about 10.6.3. Search the forums or google but I think you have to back some kexts up.

If it really is an unmodified retail install you should be okay with the delta update.

You can download it from Apple's website.

I like to keep the latest combo update around though...you never know when you might need some system file or other.

Well, since I'll probably be going from 10.6 straight to 10.6.4 when it comes out, I'll probably use the combo updater.

It's not entirely unmodified- I installed off an unmodified retail disk, but I had to inject some graphics drivers and kexts on the special boot disk I used.

So, just back up my kexts, run the combo updater, and reinstall the kexts if anything is broken?