Wireless in 64-bit SL thru ethernet: TRENDnet TEW-647GA

rphoto

1 post in this topic

I've tried multiple solutions on this board (usually before reading that someone wasn't running 64-bit, unfortunately) and finally stumbled across a simple and elegant solution for those of us who have working ethernet ports but can't run a wire for whatever reason.

I happened to load Newegg.com at the right time to see a Shell Shocker deal on the TRENDnet TEW-647GA wireless gaming adapter (r2.1) for $30 shipped! This was at least $20 less than any of the other solutions I tried for wireless N, so I gave it a go.

The WPS setup failed on my Netgear WNR2000 (which may be due to old firmware on the router, as it just asked me to update), but I have a Windows 7 laptop that I could run the manual setup on and had it up and running in under 10 minutes. There's a bug in the initial setup where it asks you to set a new password for the device after typing in the default password (which is nothing). After I put in the new password, it gave an error and i had to quit the setup program. After power cycling the adapter and reloading setup, I tried leaving the login password blank (as per default) but it said that wasn't correct, so I tried the password that I had attempted to assign it before and it worked like a charm! Other than that, just make sure you have the right password for your wireless (it automatically finds the right encryption method and cypher type if you have encryption enabled on your router) and you're good to go! I'm downloading at >600kB/s right now and have no problems. ;)

Since it's an ethernet-to-wireless adapter (and meant for gaming consoles like the X-Box which overcharges way too much for their wireless) you won't get the nice little airport menu to actively switch between networks, but I have a tower and It doesn't leave my apartment.

post-585173-1274539304_thumb.png