Hackintosh Server

10 posts in this topic

All of my network workstations are now Macs or Hacks, and I have a handfull em and almost a handfull of users.. I tried to turn an old P4 into a OSX Server and its performance has been lackluster at best and its not horribly stable due to how unsupported the machine is.

After many frustrations I really considered just getting a Mac Mini w/Snow Leopard Server, however I am not impressed at all with the specs so I started looking at putting together a Hackintosh for about the same price.

Ive got an HDMI going from the living room to my rack cabinets in basement, soon I intend on ditching my paid tv service and there DVR and replacing it with OTA HD, a local cache of media and internet videos.. I also do a bit of video work in FCP and would love to use its network rendering on this server so I can continue to use my workstation(s) when an encoding job has to be done.

I intend on running a Vanilla install/kernel with the fewest modifications possible.. Stability is a very high priority.

Here is what I have put together so far, please comment. It'll all be running in a 4U Rack Chassis w/redundant 500W PSUs

DFI LP UT P35 T2R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

ZOTAC ZT-20204-20L GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80580Q9400

8GB of GSkill PC2 6400 (4 chips)

4 Seagate 1.5TB SATA HDDs (2 mirrored for users directories, 2 striped for local media)

64GB Mtron Mobi SLC SSD (OS)

Bluetooth USB Dongle, Apple wireless keybd

Sony Bluray Remote

Ive already got 2 of the sata drives and the SSD... so I can build this along with a new/unused of SL server off ebay for about the same price as a MacMini Server + AppleCare

I choose the DFI LP because its a full size board with several PCIe slots and dual Gbit nic's (bonding), in the future I will likely add a raid card and a HD component capture card.. however it tops out at only 8GB of memory and I dont know how well the audio works (really need to get HDMI audio) with OSX... it seems to be a pretty well supported board and now that there not top of the line its in my price range.

My biggest concerns with the build at this point are with HDMI Audio w/this mbd and video card.. it seems to be possible from my research but I question weather its as easy as it now seems.

My secondary concern is if I'll have all the drivers for this system available for 64bit since I am stuffing it with so much ram... On my Hack workstation I had alot of issues initially with JMicron >4GB, for stability's sake I'd like to avoid any simular issues.

Thanks, Hopefully I'll be making a purchase before the weekend is up.

-R

It seems to be very specific to hardware and I am confused if it needs a video card that also does audio or a video card that takes a digital audio input for pass-through.. or both? guess I'll keep searching around, I really dont want to run a 50ft audio cable if I can do it out HDMI

also seems to be a pretty resent development, I hear the new MBP's will do audio out mini-dvi adapter... Im still waiting for my new MBP to arrive so I dont know for sure.

so I ended up just paying the lil bit extra and building a nice i7 system, I'll take my C2D Hackintosh and make it my server since it's proven to be so damn reliable and easy to hack.. Im pretty sure I can get HDMI audio out to work now that I looked into it more.

New build:

P6X58D w/i7 930 and 6GB ram, should be a kickass workstation.

• 2 weeks later...
so I ended up just paying the lil bit extra and building a nice i7 system, I'll take my C2D Hackintosh and make it my server since it's proven to be so damn reliable and easy to hack.. Im pretty sure I can get HDMI audio out to work now that I looked into it more.

New build:

P6X58D w/i7 930 and 6GB ram, should be a kickass workstation.

Have you managed to get the HDMI audio out to work?

• 4 weeks later...

no I have not, my display locks up with the GT220 if I have QT enabled, (Has something to do w/HDCP) on 10.6.3+ and from my research I need to be running at least that for HDMI Audio output.. Since I need this stable Ive just stuck w/10.6.2 and am waiting til the issue sorts its self out.

Ive since learned my TV will not pass-through digital audio out its spdif out port, it remux's it to stereo.. no point now really, I guess I'll just use a separate cable until I get a hdmi audi receiver.