Stuck in boot loader menu (OSX86 10.4.6 )

migito888

7 posts in this topic

I have a Dell C600 laptop (P4, 513MB RAM) with Windows XP installed. I followed the following guide

(http://www.nedprod.com/Niall_stuff/MacOS%20X/index.html) to partition and install OSX86 into a second partition. The only difference is, the partition name I used was disk0s2.

Install went smoothly and I copied the chain file and modified by boot.ini file according to the guide. When I reboot, I selected MacOS X. Problem is, it just gives me a blank screen for a second (I see some hard drive activity) then goes back to the boot menu. I tried this several times and never get past this stage. I also tried selecting MacOS X on the boot menu several times but it just keeps on coming back.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. thanks!

i used to have a problem similar to this

it doesnt matter what the partition name was.

try going back into the installation dvd.

and when u get in go to 'utilities' and then 'terminal'

and then type.

"cp /mach_kernel /volumes/disks"

without the quotes of course

try that and if that doesnt work

id advise re-installing and go to 'utilities' and one of the options in there i forgot which though (sorry) lets you see the errors you get (if any) while installing.

then you should be able 2 diagnose the problem.

But thats just my advice. id wait to see if someone with more experience replied before i re-installed macosx. But the first idea with the command might work.

If the kernel is not there, then it says ERROR Attempt to kill init . Atleast in Linux.

Boot with the DVD inside press F8 and type "rd=disk0s2 -x -v".

If this boots Install a 3RD Party Boot Manger such as Acronis, if not you might have to reinstall.

If after rd=disk..... it spews out errors, put em in here.

You probably mean the Win XP bot menu right? Your probleis XP is the active boot partition. OSX will automaticaly boot from the active partition silently. so what happens is you tell the os to boot and it selects the XP partition to boot from bringing you back to the XP boot menu without even showing you what's going on. Hit F8 right after selecting OSX from the XP menu and you should see the OSX boot menu screen, you have to be quick and it might take a few tries. once you have osx booted from there, edit your boot.plist and add the lines:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

• 2 weeks later...

if you haven't given up yet, this seems to be a usb issue, if you have any usb devices try unplugging them before boot. you can also try booting in safe verbose mode(-v -x). you could also try repairing the disk permissions on the partition using the install DVD.