Need Help Choosing Components

4 posts in this topic

Hey fellow osx86ers,

I'm looking into building a new Hackintosh for video editing and needed some help with finding components that will work for the following.

• Need a card that supports dual monitors in OSX86 and QE and CI. (Does such exist?)
  • Need 5.1 surround
  • Needs working ethernet connection

Those are my main priorities. All other items aren't as much of an issue. I checked the HCL, but didn't see much mention of dual displays. Money isn't a big priority here (yes, I already know you're gonna tell me to just go out and buy a mac, but I need a power machine that can run windows, and as of yet, apple has not released an intel version of the G5.) I plan on going with a Pentium D at this point.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

corndog

Hey fellow osx86ers,

I'm looking into building a new Hackintosh for video editing and needed some help with finding components that will work for the following.

• Need a card that supports dual monitors in OSX86 and QE and CI. (Does such exist?)
  • Need 5.1 surround
  • Needs working ethernet connection

Those are my main priorities. All other items aren't as much of an issue. I checked the HCL, but didn't see much mention of dual displays. Money isn't a big priority here (yes, I already know you're gonna tell me to just go out and buy a mac, but I need a power machine that can run windows, and as of yet, apple has not released an intel version of the G5.) I plan on going with a Pentium D at this point.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

corndog

Hey Chief, you wann get the Asus p5ld2-vm with an Add-2 Card. That will give you your dual monitor support. ONE of the outputs has to be DVI-D however. That dual monitor option uses the output built in the motherboard and the add2 card. It works great, QE and CI. I use it with FCP which requires QE to function at all. 5.1 Surround can be achieved by using a creative labs USB sound card. I only used it for 2.1, but the WIKI says it supports 5.1 and from what I've seen, that seems logical. I only had 2 speakers to being with. I see no need for 5.1 on my comp though. As for Ethernet, built in works on that MB. The MB supports Pentium D's as well since it is a 945 chipset. That's what you need to get one raging computer. As a side note I would highly recomend using a Sata drive. This is only one functioning IDE port on the board and that limits you to two devices, one of which is obviously going to be a DVD_Rom of some sort. Good luck!

Hey, thanks for the quick and detailed reply!

Quick question on the ADD2 card: will any brand card work? Also, can you adjust dual monitor settings in OS X (i.e. position of the second monitor?).

This was just one ADD2 card I found; would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280004647464

Also, you mentioned that one of the monitors has to be DVI...I think I can manage this, but could I also just get a DVI to VGA adapter? Seems logical to me...

Thanks!

corndog

Hey, thanks for the quick and detailed reply!

Quick question on the ADD2 card: will any brand card work? Also, can you adjust dual monitor settings in OS X (i.e. position of the second monitor?).

This was just one ADD2 card I found; would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280004647464

Also, you mentioned that one of the monitors has to be DVI...I think I can manage this, but could I also just get a DVI to VGA adapter? Seems logical to me...

Thanks!

corndog

The add2 card works just as if you had dual output on a g5. It's fully compatible, and I do mean fully. I would recomend staying with an Asus add2 card. The reason is because it may use some of the internal workings of the MB to work inside of osx. In other words, I have one and I have tested it and I know it works, and you may end up getting a card that doesn't work or spend $10 more to begin with :) It's not worth the chance really. Good luck!