Is a Pentium D 820 SL install possible?

drule

5 posts in this topic

I just read a post on another forum where it is mentioned that you cannot use OSX 10.6.x Snow Leopard on a Pentium D 820 based system, was the poster correct?

I've searched this forum, but haven't seen much mention of it, perhaps because it is known to be incompatible? :robot:

I've got an Intel D945GCZ MB based system, with this process, that I've be running Leopard 10.5.7 on for ages without any problems. But I've got SL running on my MBP and have some programs that only run on SL now, so obviously I'd like to get it installed on my Hackiknt0sh as well.

I seem to remember mention of a "chocolate" kernel, but can't find any more info it ... help :)

You can run SL on a Pentium D as long as you find the right kext before you install.

Go to www.kexts.com

I'm not sure if your motherboard can run SL, but it should.

If you try installing SL and it fails, try installing on a different PC and then swap that HDD with your PC.

I remember with my old P5e deluxe, I could run 10.5, but for some reason I could not install 10.5.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the hope :robot:

I've got an external USB hard drive that I've partitioned with my MBP and copied the retail SL install disk over to one of the partitions (using diskutil).

So far I've managed to get Chameleon to load and give me the option of booting from that USB hard drive, but I

've been unable to get the install to start as it just reboots. I'm using my_hack and have the E/E folder with a few kexts, then created the Extensions.kext with all the proper permissions fixed, but still no luck - probably because I haven't created a DSDT file or SMBIOS.plist yet (still trying to figure out how to create them).

As there may be a chance to get it working, I'm going to do some more research :)

Thanks again for the help.

Is that the "chocolate" kernel I mentioned? If so, I assume this is why my USB install is re-booting, and I'll need to copy the "choc" kernel over the 10.6.0 mach_kernel on the install partition?

Off to look for "choc" now ... :)