ideneb Combo Update issue

35 posts in this topic

I cannot thank you enough Beerkex'd! The work you do in this section is excellent, keep it up! Without you, I'd have given up waaaay before now. Good luck with your endeavors Michael!

I'm here.....

the combo update is running as i type but it has been at 3 minutes remaining for about 10 minutes now :-(

I renamed the kernel and set permissions so now I wait........I think it's stuck.

what should i do?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175339

I did this and it worked perfectly, then to get to 10.5.8, I used the same method used to go from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7. I had a couple problems, but if you have the same ones, I can help you get rid of them.

I have a new problem though... If I use any EFI Strings or kexts regarding my video card, I can't boot. OCSCD or whatever (It starts right before the Login Window Application) hangs and I can't boot. I'm stuck at 1024x768...

EFI strings worked in 10.5.2, but now they don't.

Oh, and I have an NVidia Geforce 7600 GS 512 MB. I tried EFI Strings, NVinject 0.2.0, and NVInject 0.2.1. None worked. What else is there? I'm going to try NVenabler next.

it finished! it's asking to restart......should i do it? I'm SKEERED.....LMAO

did you try the nvidia universal installer? not sure who made it but it worked for me. I could try to find the thread and link it or i could send you the file. I have it here somewhere.

edit: it appears to be bricked again.....going to run verbose mode and see what i have. will post later :-

Edit 2: there does not seem to be boot errors...it locks up though :-( what boot flags should i try? i've tried safe mode (-X) but i get the same problem.

should i post a screen shot of where verbose mode stops?

Try something like, -v -f update

Dunno, different combos might work.

I looked at the Universal thing, but it only supports 8xxx-series and up Nvidia video cards, and I have a 7xxx Series.... Thanks though!

1024x768 is so... terrible.... it's so different from the higher ones that I'm used to. Plus, I'm on an LCD, so it looks worse than its native resolution.

I'll keep trying things... I tried Natit.kext, still not working...

Dunno, different combos might work.

I looked at the Universal thing, but it only supports 8xxx-series and up Nvidia video cards, and I have a 7xxx Series.... Thanks though!

1024x768 is so... terrible.... it's so different from the higher ones that I'm used to. Plus, I'm on an LCD, so it looks worse than its native resolution.

I'll keep trying things... I tried Natit.kext, still not working...

I have a fx 5200 and the universal thingy worked....maybe we're talking about 2 different things?

will try those flags next.

What do you think about this:

Photo0123.jpg

It looks like NVKush did its job properly. The last error doesn't have to do with video, I've never seen that one before. "Sockwall" says TCP/IP to me but I'm not sure. Try disabling your on-board LAN in the BIOS and see if it gets past this error. Try googling the error message.

-update is not needed with Apple updates (it does nothing). I think the Kalyway 10.5.3 update required it.

hmm, I've found a few posts about that error but most did not have any problems booting because of it ;) .

I restored my 10.5.6 for now. I think I will take a break from this for now and resume the frustration at a later date.

Thanks very much for your help Beerkex'd and Ebol4.

-Mike

See you later!

Oh, and I have an NVidia Geforce 7600 GS 512 MB. I tried EFI Strings, NVinject 0.2.0, and NVInject 0.2.1. None worked. What else is there? I'm going to try NVenabler next.

NVEnabler probably won't work either, but install it anyway:

All the injection methods you've tried are probably doing their job and would work....the real issue is that the OS X nvidia drivers themselves don't know about your card. For a 7xxx series card you will need to add the cards device ID to NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV40Hal.kext. Copy them to the desktop, right-click -> show contents and then open info.plist inside with a plist editor (google for one or install Apple XCode) and add your cards device ID in the appropriate place - just look around inside the plist and you'll find it, follow the syntax of the other device IDs that are there already.

Be careful with Injector.kexts, don't keep more than one installed at the same time, don't use a video card Device-Properties (EFI) string or video card DSDT patch at the same time as an Injector etc etc.

Backup the original NVDA* kexts before replacing them with your modified ones, fix permissions and reboot.

I'm using NVEnabler with my 7600GT in my P4 hack, it's working fine after adding the device ID.

You can read more about this procedure here:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4

i too had a serious problem with this.

I installed kalyway 10.5.2 using this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112708 <delicious leopard soup w/ vanilla flavor for ga-p35-ds3l boards>

Followed it to update to 10.5.4 delta update which made it vanilla and it ran great.

Read around, got confused, tried to use ideneb 10.5.7 combo update 1-click install.

It finished. It rebooted. System hung.

Rebooted, waiting for root device.

Tried a bunch of stuff to no avail.

Got desparate and followed a guide to copy *ata* files from kalyway over to /sys~/lib~/ext~ again.

Now it threw some error I can't remember.

Got more desperate and tried to reinstall kalyway 10.5.2

It said something about a video problem and then tried to load little snitch with -v before it freezes.

I can get to my files no problem via macdrive in windows vista.

Is there anyway to edit them and fix all this nonsense?

I'm currently trying to backup and install snow leopard however i'm posting this because My usb drive with snow leopard just hangs and i'm wondering if i can recover my old system.