No audio after 10.6.3 update

farski

9 posts in this topic

I had been holding off on updating to 10.6.3 simply because everything was working in .2 and I was being lazy. Last night I finally had to install some other updates anyway to I included .3. Everything went fine except I lost my audio; there are no longer any output devices listed in SysPrefs. It's been a while since I've messed with my install, but I don't remember ever installing any drivers on the boot drive, so I'm not sure what would have changed. Maybe I did though.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there still a driver floating around for 883 devices, even if I do have to throw it in the /S/L/E and just keep track of it every update.

Thanks.

(just tracked down some info about this over in the Install forum, so going to try and get things working. If anyone has a definite solution, though, I'm all ears)

AppleHDA was updated in 10.6.3 and supported devices are now hardcoded in the driver, which breaks the old injection methods.

It's safe to use AppleHDA from 10.6.2, but if using an old driver bothers you I'm sure there's solution available for ALC 883 out there by now.

AppleHDA was updated in 10.6.3 and supported devices are now hardcoded in the driver, which breaks the old injection methods.

It's safe to use AppleHDA from 10.6.2, but if using an old driver bothers you I'm sure there's solution available for ALC 883 out there by now.

Ah ok, is there a copy of the 10.6.2 driver available anywhere? (nevermind, found it. thanks google...) But even after replacing it, still no devices. Also tried rebuilding the kextcache. Hmm..

Don't worry about it not appearing in System Profiler, it's not important. You can have perfectly working audio with System Profiler showing "No Built-In Audio".

The same thing goes for PCI cards.

I'm more worried about the fact that my computer doesn't produce any sound :)

When I go to the Sound System Preferences there are no output devices to select (other than Soundflower). I remember having this problem when I first moved from 10.5 to 10.6. Sure wish I remember how I fixed it back then.

yeah, didn't seem like anyone had come up with a real solution yet. one person mentioned editing the AppleHDA kext directly, which I tried, and the only other option was also to use the 10.6.2 kext, which seems ineffectual.

Oh God! I be damned!

There is not one but many posts around this site that has the patched AppleHDA.kext binary that was updated in 10.6.3 update.

Especially the one for ALC 883 codec set. AppleHDA.kext_edited_FreakyChokra.zip

Nevertheless, I;m attaching the file for your eyes only. B)

Moreover, I'll be trying the latest VoodooHDA 0.2.6 kext that is suppposedly running better than the stock AppleHDA kext.

More on it later.

BTW, keep us updated for those guys who develop these hacks or drivers, must be given due credit and success rates.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra

ugh. my situation has gone from bad to worse. I tried the vanilla 10.6.2 kext with no luck, so then I was going to give your patched 10.6.3 file a try, but I couldn't get the zip file to decompress (which is weird). I decided to give the Voodoo beta a shot, and that has started making my system KP on boot. Too hot here today for me to feel like dealing with this, so I'll live off my notebook for now and look into it more tomorrow. But certainly open to any ideas