Chameleon Bootloader

Thelgord

10 posts in this topic

Greetings all. I have a 10.6.3 system that is only a hackintosh. No dual boot anything else. Just OSX. How do I hide the bootloader so that it will auto select and boot osX when starting up?

Thanks for any responces... :(

To disable the GUI and set a default partition to boot all you ned to do is edit /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

Read the docs that come with the Chameleon binary package download.

If you don't have it, go to the voodoo projects website or forum and download it.

This is my current com.apple.boot.plist from the /extra folder

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Wait</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>0</string>

</dict>

I still have to select the osX boot partition from the graphical menu. I am looking to just fire up the hackintosh and boot strait in to osX without having to select anything. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Your com.apple.Boot.plist is corrupt, it's not supposed to auto-sort the entries alphabetically.

What editor are you using? The most convenient editor for plists is the one that comes with Apple XCode. Or you can try googling plist editor pro. I don't know if that has been updated to work on Snow Leopard though. Or if that's even an issue. Try it.

Anyway you need to make a new com.apple.Boot.plist. Here's a vanilla one to get you started.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

You can delete these flags:

<key>Instant Menu</key> (No is the default)

<string>No</string>

<key>Rescan</key> (only used with Chameleon cdboot)

<string>Yes</string>

<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key> (No is the default)

<string>No</string>

<key>Wait</key> (No is the default)

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key> (If you don't want a timeout don't use the timeout key at all)

<string>0</string>

Now add the flag required to autoboot the default partition as described in the Chameleon docs. I don't remember what it is, so go look it up yourself.

So other than sorting alphabetically, what makes you think the file is corrupt? it actually a copy of the one from the boot CD with the "Timeout" inserted by me.

Nezeb: Thank you. You actually answered a question rather than try to insult me. I appreciate that.

"I don't remember what it is," I do. It's called a lie.

"so go look it up yourself." I know that one too. Its just rude.

Since you in no way attempted to actually say anything, why did you post again?

Arrogant presumption is wrong know matter how look at it.

I realize you get to see a quite a few such questions from newbies such as myself on a near constant basis. That still doesn't excuse bad behavior. If you have nothing of use to add to a conversion that please stay out of it. Thank you and good day to you.

So other than sorting alphabetically, what makes you think the file is corrupt? it actually a copy of the one from the boot CD with the "Timeout" inserted by me.

If it's auto-sorting the entries alphabetically by itself, it's corrupt. You're just going to have to take my word for it.

Nezeb: Thank you. You actually answered a question rather than try to insult me. I appreciate that.

I was not trying to insult you, I was trying to help you. Are you familiar with the old saying about teaching a man to fish?

"I don't remember what it is," I do. It's called a lie.

"so go look it up yourself." I know that one too. Its just rude.

Look, I don't use it myself, I don't try to memorize every single Chameleon boot flag just so I can help people like you. (how selfish of me). Don't call me a liar.

Asking you to look it up yourself is not rude. How is that rude? Tell me, do you honestly think that I should look it up for you? Or would you have liked it better if I had said "please"? Remember you're not doing it for me.

Since you in no way attempted to actually say anything, why did you post again?

I don't understand what you're saying. It will be crystal clear to anyone reading my replies to you that I posted to help you with several things. Your boot.plist is corrupt, I showed you that it's full of redundant flags, and I also told you where to find the information you need.

What more do you want, a pony?

If it's auto-sorting the entries alphabetically by itself, it's corrupt. You're just going to have to take my word for it.

Granted. As I am still fairly new to the MAC as a platform I will take your word for it. After all, no human would sort data in such a way. ;)

I was not trying to insult you, I was trying to help you. Are you familiar with the old saying about teaching a man to fish?

Yes, very familiar. Give a man a fish and eats for a day. Teach him to fish, and he eats for a life time.

Look, I don't use it myself, I don't try to memorize every single Chameleon boot flag just so I can help people like you. (how selfish of me).

????? I believe that has been established ...

Don't call me a liar.

Hmmm....

I don't remember what it is

or

My idea was to get him to look it up himself :) but yes that's it.

please pick one or the other...

Asking you to look it up yourself is not rude. How is that rude? Tell me, do you honestly think that I should look it up for you? Or would you have liked it better if I had said "please"? Remember you're not doing it for me.

You are correct. Asking some one to look to look it up is not rude in the least. However....

I don't remember what it is, so go look it up yourself.

What part of that is asking? Anyone?

I don't understand what you're saying.

I will keep it simple in the future.

It will be crystal clear to anyone reading my replies to you that I posted to help you with several things. Your boot.plist is corrupt, I showed you that it's full of redundant flags, and I also told you where to find the information you need.

Yes you did. You showed me many things that are redundant ...

What more do you want, a pony?

No thank you. They can be expensive to keep around and require a shovel to follow them around, but thank you anyway.

Yes, my idea was to get you to look it up. Yes! Go to the website, look it up for yourself, it's in the documentation! What's wrong with that?

The alternative was that I looked it up for you. Why should I do that, you seem perfectly capable of using the internet.

It sounds like you somehow got the impression that I knew what it was, but didn't want to tell you?!

And as for asking/telling you what to do, what does it matter? It's FOR YOU. So you can help yourself. I was not asking you for a favor.