CPU-related Kernel Panic?

22 posts in this topic

I'm new to working kernel panics- can anyone give me more info about this? I'm getting this KP during iphone SDK install, and that's the only time- but it does happen every time. Some people have reported KP's after reboot due to CHUD kexts, but I'm not experiencing that- only KPs DURING install. I haven't installed a lot of programs though, so it may be an issue with installing anything. I get no KPs when just browsing online, playing popcap games, watching videos, etc.

Thanks!

Info: SL 10.6.3 .test7 (modbin?) kernel, AMD Quad Core, 4GB RAM (with 64-bit addressed JMicron kext).

post-49759-1272128740_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Any updates on this matter?

BTW would you mind posting your specs? Just so others could assist you finding a solution :(

No, no solution per se. However, one of the times I tried it worked and I've spent hours programming, web browsing, running other apps, etc. without a single KP. Literally the only KP I've had was during the SDK install and that's it. And it was 100% reproducible, except the one time it worked.

Specs: Gigabyte ga-770ta-ud3, AMD Phenom II x4 3.2ghz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 260GTX with full QE/CI. No special boot options or hacks other than the standard osx86 kexts with the ".test7" kernel and OS 10.6.3 (oh, and 64-bit addressed JMicron kext). I realize those are basically the specs I provided the first time- if you need something more specific just let me know what you're looking for.

you have the gibabyte 770ta-ud3? And you managed to install Leopard? What distro did you use?

I have your same mobo but I can not install it ...

Please help me

My path to install was convoluted....very much so. On my 770ta I can't boot any distro DVD without a sudden restart. I haven't tried playing with it too much though as I don't really need to boot from a distro anyway- I already have a working install. If you tell me specifically what you're having a problem with I may be able to help (other than the above problem, since I haven't solved it myself yet >). I am by no means the expert, but I've spent so much time and failed so many different ways, I'm sure I can lend some help.

Since you're probably interested- I actually installed Leopard on my old Gigabyte ga-m57sli-s4. I know Kalyway worked, JaS did as well, I think iAtkos was the only one that really gave me issues. They all failed multiple times- I learned the key to a successful install is choosing AS FEW custom kexts/drivers as possible. Get it booting first (even safe mode is fine), then add kexts to get stuff working well. Then I installed Snow Leopard onto another HDD using the AMD (existing install) install guide from the OSx86 wiki for 10.6. Made sure it booted correctly, then dropped the HDD straight into my new PC and it worked perfectly. I used an updated JMicron kext and some tickery for my 260GTX, but it did boot without these additions.

FYI- I didn't install this way on purpose. I installed it on the m57sli because I wanted it on that computer (I left out the step of imaging the install and copying to another HDD). Being able to transfer the install to my 770ta with no troubles at all was just a bonus.

Would you give me the folder "Extra"?

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/868549005/19597c...919f7e8bf0b7d13

Caveats: I'm running Snow Leopard (10.6.3), not Leopard, so I can't guarantee the same files will work under Leo. Make sure you fix all permissions after copying files over. Also, the folder "SystemExtensions" contains extensions I'm using in my /Sys/Lib/Ext folder. The main SATA bus uses the generic AHCI (and I do have my drives set to AHCI mode), while the eSATA bus uses the JMicron. Oh, and you'll need to edit /Extra/smbios.plist with your UUID under "SMUUID" Just for good measure, you may want to add your UUID to /Extra/PlatformUUID.kext/Info.plist as well.

Hey, I'm having similar errors. I have a true "hack"intosh though lol, I'm running an i7 930 on a MSI X58M (can't find anyone else using this board) I used kakewalk for gigabyte ex58-ud3r since they have the same lan chipset and everything else seemed to match up other than sound. I deleted the dsdt included with kakewalk since that is for the gigabyte board.

Everything installed great and started up fine including qe/ci and dual screen support on my cheesy 8400gs.

However, whenever I install a program, I'm getting the same panic as the OP. I originally chalked it up to the fact that i upgraded to 10.6.3 on the first install (second screenshot) so I reinstalled and decided to only upgrade to 10.6.2. However, as you can see by the first screenshot I am still experiencing the same KP. It seems to only happen whenever I am installing anything, I can use the internet all day and it will be ok...

post-38144-1273674340_thumb.jpg

post-38144-1273674373_thumb.jpg

If you tell me at what step in the process you're having a problem I may be able to help, but I'm getting the feeling there's too much of a language barrier.

but you set the bios in a particulary mode??

but you set the bios in a particulary mode??

No. The settings I use for Windows 7 work for 10.6.3. For drive mode I use "AHCI" and not "IDE" Hope that helps. Otherwise I'll need more specific info. Specifically, is your error before installing, or after installing?

Hey, I'm having similar errors. I have a true "hack"intosh though lol, I'm running an i7 930 on a MSI X58M (can't find anyone else using this board) I used kakewalk for gigabyte ex58-ud3r since they have the same lan chipset and everything else seemed to match up other than sound. I deleted the dsdt included with kakewalk since that is for the gigabyte board.

Everything installed great and started up fine including qe/ci and dual screen support on my cheesy 8400gs.

However, whenever I install a program, I'm getting the same panic as the OP. I originally chalked it up to the fact that i upgraded to 10.6.3 on the first install (second screenshot) so I reinstalled and decided to only upgrade to 10.6.2. However, as you can see by the first screenshot I am still experiencing the same KP. It seems to only happen whenever I am installing anything, I can use the internet all day and it will be ok...

Interesting.... At least we've narrowed the scope of the problem to program installs, and not specific to AMD vs. Intel or modded Kernel vs. vanilla.

On a side note- I'm really sick of this "true hackintosh" snobbery. Running OSX on any machine other than an Apple computer= hackintosh. In my opinion, using hardware that differs most from that which is intended is the very essence of the hackintosh concept. Trying to match everything perfectly amounts to nothing more than making a Mac clone. And a more expensive one, at that (vs. similar performance AMD system).

No. The settings I use for Windows 7 work for 10.6.3. For drive mode I use "AHCI" and not "IDE" Hope that helps. Otherwise I'll need more specific info. Specifically, is your error before installing, or after installing?

Interesting.... At least we've narrowed the scope of the problem to program installs, and not specific to AMD vs. Intel or modded Kernel vs. vanilla.

On a side note- I'm really sick of this "true hackintosh" snobbery. Running OSX on any machine other than an Apple computer= hackintosh. In my opinion, using hardware that differs most from that which is intended is the very essence of the hackintosh concept. Trying to match everything perfectly amounts to nothing more than making a Mac clone. And a more expensive one, at that (vs. similar performance AMD system).

I didn't mean to strike a nerve, i just meant to say that this computer is truly hacked together because there isn't a guide for it that works 100%. On my other setup I just ran kakewalk because it is a EX58-ud3r and everything works great.

• 2 weeks later...

I need serious help. I'm a photographer and last night I got a kernel panic using Camera Raw in photoshop. I need to retouch these pics for tomorrow for a client, and everytime I open camera Raw I'm getting a kernel panic! Please see image attached.

My Specs:

EVGA 3x SLI

12 GB DDR3

Core i7 930 2.8GHz

OSX 10.6.3 Retail

Attachment not working, please check this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21549082@N08/4636350058/