Dual booting leopard and windows 7....why is it a pain in the butt. need some help

2 posts in this topic

I have installed leopard with xp before and never had a problem. But I just found out the other day vista and up has a different bootloader. Well I read some tutorials and did what they said to do to do dual booting but nothing worked.

PC: Acer Aspire 5920

I have tried installing windows first than leopard, and vice versa. I would like to use the windows boot loader if possible. But at this point I just want it to work. After installing leopard last it will boot up and peform fine, but I can not get into windows. Says "bootmgr is missing" i have tried to do a repair using the cd, but it can never find the installation of windows :unsure: I also tried the command prompt way and I can see it but when I try to do a recovery it tells me that its either corrupt, or a unknown file type. WTF... And when I load leopard first and than windows last I cant get into leopard but windows works, and I tried the windows application to edit the boot loader, but I still can not not boot up into leopard. Im ready to call it quits unless someone could give me some hints please.

Update: just turned on the computer for the hell of it and booted off dvd, it finally sees the OS. It says "Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered) but the location is Unknown :*( and when I try to do a startup repair it says it cannot be done. What should I do?

Have you tried this (after win7 is detected):

go to command prompt in the recovery disk

type in bootrec.exe and follow instructions below:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

good luck