Vostro 1400 Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Installation

xRotorHead

4 posts in this topic

Updated as of 28 Apr 2010. This is what I did to get Snow Leopard 10.6.3 installed on my Dell Vostro 1400. My Vostro has the Nvidia GeForce 8400 M GT video card.

To follow this guide you'll need this: snow-vostro.zip

From another OsX system, I installed SL to a freshly erased GPT-formated Mac OsX Extended partition (We'll name it "Snow" for discussion purposes).

Note for MBR formatted partitions: If you want to install to an MBR-formatted partition, you need to delete the OSInstall.mpkg from the 10.6 Retail Installer dmg /System/Library/Installation/ and replace with the OSInstall.mpkg contained in the snow-vostro.zip folder. I simply use Onyx to view hidden folders like the ones on the Retail dmg installer.

From the within the other OsX system, go to the 10.6 Installer DVD dmg /System/Library/Installation, and run the OSInstall.mpkg to the newly created Snow partition.

It will take about 15 minutes and may fail near the end of the installation. That's okay, proceed anyway after a successful (or failed) installation. Close the installer, but don't reboot yet. Extract the snow-vostro zip file to an easy-to-find location.

- Delete IOATAFamily.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from Snow's S/L/E

- If you're running OSInstall.mpkg from another 10.6 setup, run the 10.6.3 Combo Update to the Snow at this point (if not, proceed to next step)

- Run Chameleon 2 RC4 to Snow

- Run VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.pkg to Snow

- Delete Extra from the root of Snow and replace with the Extra from snow-vostro zip file

- Reboot with verbose mode to see any hang ups (hopefully none).

- Go through first-time setup as usual

- Using Kext Helper b7, drag and drop the VoodooPowerMini.kext, VoodooSDHC.kext, VoodooBattery.kext and VoodooHDA.kext into its main kext/path window and click Easy Install

- Again in Kext Helper b7, click advanced, Kext Permissions and Run at the bottom of the Kext Helper b7 window.

- Reboot, you should now have sound and the battery icon

- Run KextUtility

- Download and run the 10.6.3 Combo Update from Apple (if you haven't already done so the the 2nd step), this will get your DVD working again

- Reboot...to a working version of 10.6.3 on your Vostro 1400

Most things should be working, including the VGA port, SD Card Reader, USB ports, sound, wireless, LidSleep, and sleep. It won't fully reboot without help of the power button. The Ethernet port isn't working. Haven't tested the PCMCIA (likely NOT working) and firewire (probably IS working according to "About This Mac" hardware description).

After resuming from sleep, I have the nagging issue of no tap-to-click on the trackpad. If anyone has suggestions how to fix these, I'd love to hear it.

• 6 months later...

hey xRotorHead,

love the guide you made!! I have one of these with a full vanilla 10.5.8 install, updates like my MBP, are you able to pm me your snow-vostro.zip file?? I've attempted a few times to get this off rapid share , however it says that the zip does not exist?? :)

can you help me out?

thanks for the awesome guide! Nice one :wacko:

shukie

hey xRotorHead,

love the guide you made!! I have one of these with a full vanilla 10.5.8 install, updates like my MBP, are you able to pm me your snow-vostro.zip file?? I've attempted a few times to get this off rapid share , however it says that the zip does not exist?? :(

can you help me out?

thanks for the awesome guide! Nice one :blink:

shukie

Don't know what happened to my old RapidShare accnt. Here's a new link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/428215218/snow-vostro.zip