Intel HD Graphics (10.6.3 kexts) report back

targeter15

91 posts in this topic

So HD Graphics support is out. Can any one report one how well this is working for them? Do you get QE/CI? The MBP that have HD Graphics also have a mux (not NVIDIA optimus), so I am curious if they even support QE/CI or pass it to the discrete. In which case, everything with graphics would be supported short of QE/CI.

Let me know what you get on your system. I am currently running a older MBP and waiting for my new Vostro and MBP to arrive in a few weeks. However, I am still curious to know how this is working for others.

http://netkas.org/?p=427

It looks like bragging rights posted the kext directly so you don't need pacifist. But I am unfamiliar with the site, so use at your own risk.

http://extraspeed.blogspot.com/2010/04/app...phic-kexts.html

Or MAYBE need to find a way to change the smbios, to recognize our PCs like the new MBPs and to install the complete update. Or MAYBE need the new MBPs DSDT table (or only the IntelHD part). Or MAYBE to find someone who can patch the kexts in right way to add the device ids. Or MAYBE to do all the things I suggest. :)

Actually that is what I am somewhat curious about. If you do a vanilla setup on a like notebook with the DSDT and everything, does the AppleIntelHD kext still make a call to a 330M (nonexistent though it may be)? I am curious to find if the coding or way the mux is handled is referenced in the kext. If this is the case, it would make it near to impossible to get QE/CI working on a notebook that only has clarkdale/arrandale - assuming it is passing off this to the discrete.

I suspect that anything short of gaming and cad is handled by HD Graphics, but I want to know real world experience because this will answer the question if the mux is mostly hardcoded on the chip or some other call function occurs at the software level.

I'll probably look at the kexts later. I am off programming open source on another project and too busy to look into this for now. But I am curious to know what the real world results have been.

How do you install the drivers? Is there a particular order or do i use the bundles? I get a KP whenever i try to install AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFramebuffer.kext. I have a Core i5 430m with Intel GMA HD (same one in the New MBP). I have 10.6.3 1.1 installed.

Can you post a ss of an osx86tools report? can you bench opengl?

You want ID's? lspci?

8086:0044: Intel® processor DRAM Controller

8086:0046: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD

OpenGL Test crash (XBench, OpenMark and OpenGL Ext. Viewer) the App, they freeze with cursor, but after some seconds it unfreezes the cursor, something is working, cause the menubar is transparent without extra help. Its possible to watch with QuickTimeX movies without high CPU usage.

maybe you need to install opengl.framework from mbp's update too

Tried that out too. Did two times (to be sure) clean install from 10.6.2 Snow Leopard DVD (the iMac11,1 DVD), updated to 10.6.3 v1.1 and installed the MacBook Update. But nothing, the same result. dmesg is full of ACPI (Profile) and SMC Errors. Hack as MacBookPro6,2 labeled wont boot, it just freezes with light blue screen. As MacBookPro6,1 labeled, it boots into GUI and the two Intel HD Kexts are loaded.

How do you install the drivers? Is there a particular order or do i use the bundles? I get a KP whenever i try to install AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFramebuffer.kext. I have a Core i5 430m with Intel GMA HD (same one in the New MBP). I have 10.6.3 1.1 installed.

Take the full MacBook Update, it has new Kernel, Kexts and Frameworks.

Or MAYBE need to find a way to change the smbios, to recognize our PCs like the new MBPs and to install the complete update. Or MAYBE need the new MBPs DSDT table (or only the IntelHD part). Or MAYBE to find someone who can patch the kexts in right way to add the device ids. Or MAYBE to do all the things I suggest. :)

The Kext knows all the Intel HD ID's, there are only 3 of them to know.

My laptop is now shown as MBP 4,1. How can I hack it to be recognized az 6,1 or 6,2 ?

In SMBIOS plist SMproductname

One last thing. Can you tell me what exacly I need to type in the SMbios file, because my SMbios file is the one from the EMPIRE EFI boot CD ( I used the files from the CD (/Extra folder, SMbios file, kexts and etc) to put them to the boot EFI partition (Using RETAIL 10.6 with EFI Partition, and fixed DSDT to use the AppleIntelPowerManagement kext). Thanks :rolleyes:

One last thing. Can you tell me what exacly I need to type in the SMbios file, because my SMbios file is the one from the EMPIRE EFI boot CD ( I used the files from the CD (/Extra folder, SMbios file, kexts and etc) to put them to the boot EFI partition (Using RETAIL 10.6 with EFI Partition, and fixed DSDT to use the AppleIntelPowerManagement kext). Thanks :rolleyes:

I changed only this:

<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro6,1</string>

I'm not sure if the Serial/Bios do have any impacts.

Some errors from dmesg according to Intel HD:

Stolen Memory Verification Failed

Invalid backlight duty cycle value set by EFI

I make it to recognize my system like 6,1, BUT now says this update can`t be installed on this volume because the VOLUME does not meet the requirements for this update !!!! So can I install the whole update now? :)

I make it to recognize my system like 6,1, BUT now says this update can`t be installed on this volume because the VOLUME does not meet the requirements for this update !!!! So can I install the whole update now? :)

It doesnt find the special MacBookPro 10.6.3. Install it with Pacifist like I did.

Ok thanks, I`ll try it and tell u is there any progress :)

I tried changing my smbios to macbookpro 6,1. It allows u to open the package but when choosing the drive it denies the installation. Anything I need to change to do to full macbookpro update.