Dual boot works but is weird

BoostinGST

7 posts in this topic

ok so something my buddy did while doing this erased my harddrive after mac os was installed so i had to reinstall xp....

when i restarted it was showing xp as dual boot options

like i had xp on it twice.

so i go into the boot.ini file to add the proper dual boot line for mac os and deleted one of the windows line as it was the same line just twice.

when i went to save the file said could not save boot.ini permission denied... after awhile of playing with the file options I finally got it

I rebooted and it was showing up properly

windows xp

mac osx

choosing windows is fine, but when i try to chose mac os it starts darwin then goes back to the chose screen

windows xp

mac os

everytme!

so i chose mac os options im not sure exactly may have been f8 while darwin was loading

and it worked MAC OS loaded fine.

so in mac os i looked to find a new drive icon "untitled" i can only view the files, not change them, and cant add anything to the drive. but these are WINDOWS files... which also had a boot.ini in it

so im thinking maybe if I delete em that will fix the problem but will that mess anything up? and how do I delete them as the drive doesn't show up at all in windows...

anyone else have this problem? how did you fix it? anyone know how to fix?

its possible.. i started to install windows xp and fell asleep during the installation wheni woke up finished it then when it rebooted it was showing up twice. It couldnt have installed on the partition because the size isnt more than what was required for apple, furthermore i have erased it to reinstall macos and its still a problem... it shows a seperate drive in macos with the windows files there cant access em... my friend has the same problem on his machine...

• 4 months later...

try this:

when selecting "OSX" in the bootmenu hit "Enter" and fast "F8" .. now the OSX-Bootmenu comes up where "XP" is the first selection and "OSX" is the second.

thats why it always shows up the XP-Bootmenu.. it's a circle..

does anybody know how to change the boot order in OSX?