How do I bypass "this software cannot be installed on this computer" Restore Disc

yamcha

6 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I got myself an imac a week ago, and was wondering if I could possibly install OSX Tiger on it.. I have the restore discs (OSX Tiger Intel) which are not meant for my system.. is there any way I could bypass the error and install Tiger on my new iMac? my Mac came with Snow Leopard, but I really wanna try OSX Tiger..

Anyone know a way? I really appreciate your time and help :]

If you have the developer tools installed, right click the .mpkg file (probably install.mpkg) and choose the open the file with the flat package editor. Drag the Distribution file onto your desktop and edit it with your favorite text editor. Mess around with the version checks flags. When you are finished with those edits, delete the old Distribution file in the .mpkg and drag your new one in. Save the .mpkg file and voila!

Of course, don't forget to backup the old Distribution file just in case you messed up.

FlatPackages2.jpg

Drag the file icon (looks like a blank page) onto the desktop and then edit the file you dragged to the desktop. You do not edit the file using the flat package editor. You then replace the original file in the package with the one you edited by dragging the edited file back.

Get it?

Drag the file icon (looks like a blank page) onto the desktop and then edit the file you dragged to the desktop. You do not edit the file using the flat package editor. You then replace the original file in the package with the one you edited by dragging the edited file back.

Get it?

Ah Ic, thanks