Still waiting for root device problem.

area5x1

3 posts in this topic

I installed 10.6.2 using a flash drive on my PC, and everything on the first boot after install seemed to be going well, except my resolution was locked at 1024x768, but I said to myself I'm going to fix that later. On the second boot, I get the "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement" stuff, so I delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext from the system library.

Then on the third boot, the apple intel cpu stuff is gone, only to be replaced by a "Still waiting for root device" in infinite loop, as if it's not recognizing my harddrive. I can boot into -x safe mode with no problems, and if I force a rebuild with -f, I can boot into OS X as well. However, using -f has its share of problems. For example, whenever I click "About this Mac" when I boot with -f, a black screen appears for a few seconds, then everything (literally) crashes and I'm brought back to desktop. And productivity in safe mode is basically gone.

I googled for some answers and saw stuff like "Enable IDE in legacy mode" but I don't seem to have that option in my BIOS. I also found something about repairing permissions, so I repaired permissions in Disk Utility, but that didn't seem to help either. Any advice? Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Gigabyte 8800 GTS 320MB

Abit QuadGT P965 motherboard

Hitachi 320gb SATA3 HDD (My only SATA device)

NEC IDE DVD-Drive (My only IDE device)

What is the /E/E folder? Is that the extensions folder? I have the custom kexts:

AppleACPIPPS2Nub

ApplePS2Controller

EvOreboot

fakesmc

IOATAFamily

LegacyAppleAHCIPort

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage

LegacyJMicronATA

NullCPUPowerManagement

NVInject

PlatformUUID