A couple of questions about Finder and X11

Maxster

4 posts in this topic

Hi!

I started using OS X a couple weeks ago and I'm really loving it! I have of couple of things I wanted to ask all of you OS X pros.

First, is there a way in the Finder to do like in Windows when manipulating files? For example, Cut files and Paste them sowhere else to move them? I can only Copy them. Also, when drag n dropping files, is it possible to use modifier keys to change the behavior? Fo example, in Windows Ctrl will copy, Alt will move, Ctrl + Shift will create a shortcut. If the Finder can't do these things, are there any third party applications that will? I heard about Path Finder but haven't tried it yet.

Second thing, is there a way to prevent a terminal window from opening when lauching an X11 app?

And last question, I installed OS X with a usb keyboard, the home and end keys on it didn't work. Yesterday I switched to an Apple Keyboard and the Home and End keys still don't work? Do I need to do something special to enable them? I hate having to press the left/right arrow forever to get to where I want.

I hope this is the right forum to post these questions! Thanks!

UPDATE: ok the home and end keys seem to work but only in a couple of applications (Adium for example). Is this normal? I don't see why we can't use these keys in any textbox?

unfortunately that is normal behaviour with Mac OS. Mac OS X has become more user friendly with features like that compared to Mac OS classic but is still not comparable to Windows where it is normal in any Application (apart from some Apps coded in Java etc.). I have been working with Mac AND Windows for many years now, and never understood why Apple is lagging behind with 'normal gadgeds' like that .. :(

UPDATE: ok the home and end keys seem to work but only in a couple of applications (Adium for example). Is this normal? I don't see why we can't use these keys in any textbox?