Can't install Windows XP, but no problems with Win 7

3 posts in this topic

I'm having a strange problem and wondering if anyone can help...

Basically, I'm running SATA two hard drives--one with a successful retail install of 10.5.8. The other, I want to put a version of Windows on it.

The problem is I can boot into Windows 7 and install it perfectly. But I want to install XP instead. So I erase the hard drive and try to do a clean install of XP. The problem is that the install fails EVERY TIME once it loads the files from the CD. I get a BSOD every time.

I'm wondering why Win7 would install fine but XP won't. Any thoughts??

Yup, at that first prompt when the XP install starts "Press F6 to load a third party driver"; the BSOD at the point you describe is absolutely because Windows installer is crashing when accessing the ACPI interface.

You'll need a floppy (yes a USB floppy drive) with the driver to make the install work. The XP installer will only search the "A" drive for the specified file.

You can probably find the driver at the motherboard manufacturers web site, or if you have the driver disk that came with the board, there is usually some sort of make disk utility to create the floppy driver disk for the install. You should be able to run this utility under Windows 7.