Ati Radeon HD 3870 Snow

Shomoha

8 posts in this topic

I have ATI Radeon HD 3870 4x in my Folllowing system, it is for one year I have installed leopard OSX 10.5.6 that has been upgraded to 10.5.8 with no problem it is working with full spec.

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H ver1.0

AMD Phenom X4 Quad-core 9650 2.3GHz Processor

ATI 3870 x4

AHCI SATA HDD GUID

2 gig DDR2 1066 Ram

unfortunately I haven't find any working driver for Snow until now. any friend has any succesful experience in snow with this Ati card?

thanks

Shomoha, can you please post more info about upgrade process (my system crashes, on such upgrade)? And what 10.5.6 build you originally used? Thanks!

Dear Maxherman

I have used IPC Mac 10.5.6 and some simple choises in cofig. that if you want I will give you, after installation I used -x and installed my Ati driver and very simple it has been upgraded successfully (offcourse in first boot I have booted with -x and then I have installed again my Ati driver) its hardware near perfect is working.

I found some hope in the Apple Support forums.

"OS X has included drivers for the card since 10.5.7. I'm using the card with 10.6.2 now. i've been using the card since I had 10.5.8 installed."

"Just for the record: Using Snow Leopard OSX 6.2 the ATI HD 3870 is a drop-in (or plug & play in Orkish). Install & boot up without using the driver software supplied by ATI. Works great. Thanks to those who responded."

It looks like you will lose TV out and 2nd DVI port but I do not care about those issues right now.

Now is there a retail Snow Leopard Install dvd that comes with 10.6.2?

• 1 month later...

I just had a thought after reading the comments on netkas' PC EFI 10.6 post. Someone mentioned that their 4650 lost outputs because PC EFI 10.6 assigned a different framebuffer to it than PC EFI 10.5. Perhaps real Mac Pro's with the 3870 use a different framebuffer than what people have been trying to use on their hacks? I imagine this has been considered, but I thought I would throw it out there.

• 8 months later...
I was able to start SL with this card.

The hd3850 agp card was meant to have the same gpu as the 3870 pci-express card. I have a ati 3850agp card and was wondering if anyone on this board has got it working in snow leopard. Before i get 100 negative people say agp isnt supported in sl, ill just say AGP can run on SL quite well (the nvidia ones by what i know)

Anyone FULL CI/QE/resolution on any AGP Video Card in Snow Leopard?? - InfiniteMac OSx86

Also I have found a kext online for ati hd 2600 Pro for Snow Leopard here:

http://leopardkext.blogspot.com/2010/07/at...00-pro-agp.html

I have two agp machines one with a p4 3.0ghz and an agp ati hd 3450 which is acting as a media pc and a pentium d 3.4ghz pc with an agp ati hd3850 graphics card which is my main machine. I would like to run snow leopard on either but I understand graphics drivers have always been a problem when it comes to hackintosh machines (well atleast a problem for those who don't know the tricks, which i don't :/ ). I get the feeling that when some hackintoshers fix a particularly obscure problem they don't always see it as obscure so may not think a tutorial will be needed for others.

If there is anyone out there who has got the ati hd3xxx cards working please explain in detail how you did it, here :)

I was able to start SL with this card.

The hd3850 agp card was meant to have the same gpu as the 3870 pci-express card. I have a ati 3850agp card and was wondering if anyone on this board has got it working in snow leopard. Before i get 100 negative people say agp isnt supported in sl, ill just say AGP can run on SL quite well (the nvidia ones by what i know)

Anyone FULL CI/QE/resolution on any AGP Video Card in Snow Leopard?? - InfiniteMac OSx86

Also I have found a kext online for ati hd 2600 Pro for Snow Leopard here:

http://leopardkext.blogspot.com/2010/07/at...00-pro-agp.html

I have two agp machines one with a p4 3.0ghz and an agp ati hd 3450 which is acting as a media pc and a pentium d 3.4ghz pc with an agp ati hd3850 graphics card which is my main machine. I would like to run snow leopard on either but I understand graphics drivers have always been a problem when it comes to hackintosh machines (well atleast a problem for those who don't know the tricks, which i don't :/ ). I get the feeling that when some hackintoshers fix a particularly obscure problem they don't always see it as obscure so may not think a tutorial will be needed for others.

If there is anyone out there who has got the ati hd3xxx cards working please explain in detail how you did it, here :)

ps: would this help?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214208