External HDD format

jwh335

3 posts in this topic

Hi, all. I've just bought a MacBook Pro and I'm currently waiting on it to arrive. Very excited :D

However, before it gets here, I would like to sort out a question I have. My current main computer is running Linux (ext3) and my media center is Windows 7 (ntfs). I have a one TB external HDD that I store everything on. I've formatted it in ntfs so that I can read/write from both Linux and Windows.

I think this is about to become a problem, with the Mac. I've looked around and I don't know what I need to format the disk in. I REALLY don't want to format it as fat32 (I imagine fat32 won't mesh well with a TB). It doesn't seem like I have a lot of options, though. I believe I read that I can use ntfs-3g, but I've heard it's slow. So, I'd like to find out my other options before I go down that path.

In a perfect world, I'd have read/write on all three systems. I'm not expecting that to happen, so I would settle with read/write to my Linux system.

Is there any way to read/write ext3 from OS X?

Thanks.

Perhaps a network connected drive (NAS) can be useful?

I have a Maxtor which runs a Linux kernel, file system EXT3. (or was it ReiserFS... ?)

No problems accessing the drive from Windows or Kubuntu Linux (using SAMBA), will try my MBP soon too.