No entry sign on boot

blackscooby

4 posts in this topic

Agggrrhhhhhh

I've got sooo far and was impressed !

I've used the mark-lar.dmg file, converted to ISO and patched.

The install went perfectly on my AMD 3500 (SSE3) machine.

No when it reboots I get the whirling clock face thing on a gray background which eventually goes to a no entry sign over the apple image.

How do I get to safe mode ?

It start up goes from starting darwin (or what ever it says) to the grey screen sooooo quick I don't have time to intercept it.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

First thing is to verify what is wrong, so stop it at the command prompt (hit F8 as soon as you see the darwin boot), and type -v before hitting enter. This will allow you to follow the bootup and see where you are hangning. My suspicion, based on your description is that you are getting the dreaded "waiting for root device" error.

If this is the case, you'll need to tell us what configuration you're booting to. I.E. are you using a primary internal, external usb/firewire, or whatever configuration you're booting from.

I've got the problem too. it happened after i installed the hard disk access speed boost patch with the IOATAFamily.kext

i can't get into safe mode either. sigh.

it hangs at something that goes "installed over.... sleep" i can't remember, i'm using my iBook now...

I should have posted earlier. I've sorted this one out now.

On the Patched install I had mistakenly unticked the SSE2 support without drilling down. I needed some of the other options within the patch.

All resolved now boots like a charm. Just gotta get my WiFi sorted... but thats another issue completely. Might purchases a DLINK G122 USB to resolve the issue !

Cheers