Rebuilding mkext files

edgecrush3r

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

i just upgraded to Snow yesterday and all is fine and well, except some questions regarding rebuilding the mkexts in snow.

I noticed my trusty -k switch is gone obsolete since version 10.6 so i cant rebuild my kext using: kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Instead i now use the following (inside a script) and run as root.

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

so as far as i can tell, the Extensions.mkext located in the /System/Library/Extensions.mkext has been moved to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions

are these the only changes for the Extension mkext files? or am i missing something else?

Thanks,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

i just upgraded to Snow yesterday and all is fine and well, except some questions regarding rebuilding the mkexts in snow.

I noticed my trusty -k switch is gone obsolete since version 10.6 so i cant rebuild my kext using: kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Instead i now use the following (inside a script) and run as root.

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

so as far as i can tell, the Extensions.mkext located in the /System/Library/Extensions.mkext has been moved to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions

are these the only changes for the Extension mkext files? or am i missing something else?

Thanks,

Tony

Dear edgecrush3r.

As you have expressed in your post,

These commands are New as compared to 10.5.x (Leopard) commands.

And,

YES!

That's the way with the new Snow Leopard MKEXT locations and architecture.

Except

so as far as i can tell, the Extensions.mkext located in the /System/Library/Extensions.mkext has been moved to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup//Extensions

The new SnowLeo mkext file for /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/ is stored in:

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

not:

/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions

ok?

Just don't forget to repair permissions and ONLY THEN run the rebuild mkext commands.

That's it.

Have Fun!

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra