give it to me straight - how hard is this going to be?

Pistonian

5 posts in this topic

<noob>

My 2 year old Raptor just flaked out under warranty, but not before taking my main computer's XP install with it. This is my main computer we use for family stuff, photoshop, and my web development stuff on occasion. It has to be running very smoothly or my wife will complain and make my life miserable.

Money is tight, so I want to keep as much of my existing rig as possible. It's still quite capable for being 2 years old. I have 2 young kids, so I don't game much anymore (tear).

• EVGA 123-YW-E175 with onboard raid (750i SLI FTW)
  • cheapo 6200 video card (replaceable)
  • 2 raided drives for data and photos
  • 3.6Ghz CD2 775 (OC'd now, but doesn't have to be)
  • Raptor 150GB

I don't have much time, so I really can't have my main rig flaking out when it comes time for updates or even on boot up.

Questions:

• Give it to me straight - is this going to be a nightmare? I love a challenge and I know my way around code and hardware, but I'm new to it and don't have a lot of time.
  • Once you do actually boot up and get these running, are they stable from then on?
  • Are they updatable on the fly or is there major tweaking for each update?
  • Is there any threat of Apple "bricking" my desktop with an update?

Most importantly - can my wife use one of these? (she's practically a Luddite)

Hey, you gotta try it. First use Leopard iatkos i7, and remember something that people have been forgetting: Goggle is your friend. So just put the name of your MB in Insanely Mac Google Search and try it, if something goes wrong, them you make a topic.

With the correct DSDT your system should be pretty useful.

Your video card can make the things a little bit hard, but i remember that kexts ( driver ) exist for that one.

It can be updatable depending of the result of the installation and the method that you had used. The DSDT method with the retail are the best ones.

No Apple doesn't care about you, you are small ,they care about pystar.

So repeating, Google is your friend, if you find nothing, try a snow leopard tutorial to a Motherboard almost like yours or just try Leopard.