Multi-OS Environment but 1 OS from Acronis Image

2 posts in this topic

This situation is very confusing for me. I've been trying to work on it for about a week now and cannot figure things out properly.

I want to triple boot Snow Leopard, Windows 7, and Windows XP on my Dell Latitude E6400. I've previously configured Snow Leopard and Windows 7 properly with Chameleon 2 RC3 bootloader but now I've got a new issue. I would also like to start from scratch and add Windows XP but instead of reinstalling XP from scratch, I need to use an Acronis .tib image file instead.

Through research I found that you can only incorporate Acronis image files into a GPT formatted disk with the enterprise version of Backup and Recovery 10. I learned that you also need to place XP onto the fourth partition (the 1st being the EFI partition) if you want it to work properly. So I booted to my Snow Leopard install disc, opened Disk Utility, and formatted it like so:

1.) EFI

2.) Mac OS X (10.6) Snow Leopard - HFS

3.) Windows 7 - FAT32

4.) Windows XP - FAT32 (Which becomes NTFS when the image is extracted to this partition)

After finishing, I rebooted the machine into the Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 Enterprise environment to restore the old XP volume into its allocated place on the drive. I only restore the volume itself and choose to not include the MBR from the image because when I created the image, it was the only OS installed and that would throw off the GPT formatting I just did in Disk Utility.

I can install Windows 7 from the disc that I have and it works just fine. XP is giving me the problems here! I cannot for the life of me get it to boot. I've tried booting into it from the Chameleon 2 RC3 CD that I have and it does not load at all. What do I need to do to make it active?