Dual tiger-SL-so-i-can-still-use-my-CS2-boot

MaxBeckett

7 posts in this topic

HI all,

Mr. new guy here.

I wanted to upgraed my system to snow leopard and made the newbie mistake of buying the upgrade before checking if all my crucial applications worked on SL. Thing is, I have one client for whom I am required to use indesign cs2, which cant run on SL.

Would it be a viable option to set up my Macbook Pro to dual boot in tiger and SL? I’m unfamiliar with the dual-boot. Will my files (not the apps, but the files) be accessible from the same «place(?)» wether I boot in tiger or SL? Or is it like having two distinct computers with no cross-over of information? I hope my question isnt too convoluted. I suppose I could just keep the files pertaining to this client on an external drive also.....

I’ll be happy to hear your thoughts on this.

Cheers,

Max

One idea...

Run VMWare, or Parallels and create a environment for your Tiger then you run CS2. There is no reason for it NOT to work and you get rid of the Dualboot thing....

I've been doing some research since I posted! it is apparently Illegal and VERY difficult!

So here is another option, get a 20-40GB external drive and load Tiger on it the choose it as a boot option whenever you need to work on the program.

This way you can keep it in the cupboard when noene works on it and you have the complete environment when you boot from it!

I have such a Leopard drive just for fun, so I don't mess with my Snow machine!

SticMAC

I've been doing some research since I posted! it is apparently Illegal and VERY difficult!

So here is another option, get a 20-40GB external drive and load Tiger on it the choose it as a boot option whenever you need to work on the program.

This way you can keep it in the cupboard when noene works on it and you have the complete environment when you boot from it!

I have such a Leopard drive just for fun, so I don't mess with my Snow machine!

SticMAC

Thanks for the information. I think that’s what I’ll do. Sounds easy enough.

One follow-up question though :

Can i just clone my existing tiger set-up to an external drive using something like carbon copy cloner or superduper. Or do I need to «install» tiger on the external drive and then reinstall the apps onto that «external tiger»?

Thanks for the help.

Max

YES!

If you have it Clone it! make sure it boots and works well before doing anything to the internal HDD.

SticMAC

Thanks for the information. I think that’s what I’ll do. Sounds easy enough.

One follow-up question though :

Can i just clone my existing tiger set-up to an external drive using something like carbon copy cloner or superduper. Or do I need to «install» tiger on the external drive and then reinstall the apps onto that «external tiger»?

Thanks for the help.

Max