Permissions error on external drive, no write/read permitted, sudo ls -a gives NO output

seventoes

4 posts in this topic

The weird part is the drive works 100% fine on other computers, Windows 7, XP, and Snow Leopard. The computer with the problems is my Leopard hackintosh. It's a brand new 1TB Seagate FreeAgent.

I've tried formatting multiple times, FAT32, HFS, NTFS, they all seem to have the same problem. I thought it might be something weird going on with the /dev/*disk* node, but the permissions on that are just fine. Other external drives work fine on this computer, including my 750GB 'morespace' (forget the brand..)

When I mount the drive, I can usually see the files on it for a while, but as soon as I try to write, I get 'permission denied' and I suddenly lose read access! Then I can't dismount the drive without manually -force'ing it with hdiutil

ls -a, even with sudo, gives me NO output, not even . and .. ?

(seventoes)-(jobs:0)-(/Volumes/Bigdrive)
(! 523)-> ls -a

(! 524)-> sudo ls -a
Password:

(! 525)-> hdiutil eject -force /Volumes/Bigdrive
"disk1" unmounted.
"disk1" ejected.

Anyone know what the hell is going on? Weirdest problem I've ever faced....

The weird part is the drive works 100% fine on other computers, Windows 7, XP, and Snow Leopard. The computer with the problems is my Leopard hackintosh. It's a brand new 1TB Seagate FreeAgent.

I've tried formatting multiple times, FAT32, HFS, NTFS, they all seem to have the same problem. I thought it might be something weird going on with the /dev/*disk* node, but the permissions on that are just fine. Other external drives work fine on this computer, including my 750GB 'morespace' (forget the brand..)

When I mount the drive, I can usually see the files on it for a while, but as soon as I try to write, I get 'permission denied' and I suddenly lose read access! Then I can't dismount the drive without manually -force'ing it with hdiutil

ls -a, even with sudo, gives me NO output, not even . and .. ?

(! 523)-> ls -a

(! 524)-> sudo ls -a
Password:

(! 525)-> hdiutil eject -force /Volumes/Bigdrive
"disk1" unmounted.
"disk1" ejected.

Anyone know what the hell is going on? Weirdest problem I've ever faced....

If it's USB try switching to ESATA, or vice versa. Following that, make sure the drive is setup GPT.

If all else fails, burn/boot a linux live CD (I like Mint) and make sure the drive works under Linux. You can also set the drive to GPT under Linux if unable via Leopard. If the drive behaves as normal, somethings fubar w/ the Leopard install. If it misbehaves under Linux as well, sounds like the drive is having issues - exchange it.

In my experience, Seagates are generally pretty good, reliable drives. I've got 2 in my system and have had 0 issue.