[GUIDE] Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q701

lkelly2006

5 posts in this topic

This is a breakdown of my experience with installing OSX on my Toshiba:

Disclaimer: I do not take any responsibility or liability for any damage done to any systems or any credit for the creation of the kexts/software below. Please use this tutorial at your discretion as this is only for testing/learning purposes. I am not a professional but a simple user. Enjoy!

10.6.2:

SleepEnabler.kext.zip (although sleep does not currently work)

OVERHEATING I noticed that my CPU was running 160-180 Degrees F after updating to 10.6.2!! Very hot. I deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext and it is running about 20 degrees cooler. Will let you know if I notice anything else.

________________________________________________________________________________

Update 11/09/2009 - Located kext for 64bit Kernel Bluetooth Support!!!!

ToshibaBluetooth64.kext.zip

Update 11/06/2009 - Located kext for 64bit Kernel Atheros Wireless Support!!!! -IO80211Family.kext.zip

Update 11/06/2009 - Modified PS2 kext for 64bit 'tap to click' trackpad support!!!!-

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

Update 11/06/2009 - Modified kext for 64bit JMicron Card Reader Support!!!!-

VoodooSDHC.kext.zip

Distro: SnowOSX_Universal_10.6

Hardware-

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P7350(working)

GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9700M GTS(working)

Wireless: Atheros 802.11 b/g/n (working in 64/32bit)

Sound: ALC272(working 64/32bit)

Bluetooth v2(working in 64/32bit)

JMicron Card Reader(working in 64/32bit)

Step 1:

I have two separate hard drives so it was very simple to have duel OS. I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my primary HD and installed OSX on my secondary hard drive.

Installation:

The installation process went very smooth for me fortunately. I booted from my DVD using SnowOSX_Universal_10.6. I used Disk Utility to Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Very quick format.

Next prompt is to select a HD for installation. I chose my newly formatted HD and followed the prompts. This Distro has very limited options, I left the default with the exception of the PS2 Mouse/Keyboard option. ( will provide screenshots for the above in an update).

Installation finished in about 20 minutes and prompted me to reboot.

Step 2:

On my fist boot I used command -v (verbose) to see if I would get any kernel panics. Fortunately, everything loaded correctly and went to the initial setup screen. At this point, my video card and sound are not 100% functional but I can proceed through the installation process. My ethernet/wireless were available without any modifications. I went though the initial setup ( name, location, image, etc) and proceeded to the desktop. As of right now, my resolution is incorrect but I am able to navigate through the next steps.

Before I loaded any modified kexts, I updated successfully to 10.6.1. After the update, I rebooted and began modifying my install.

Step 3:

I updated my Chameleon to the latest version 2.0 RC3 - Chameleon_2_RC3.zip

In addition, added the following kexts to /System/Library/Extensions(always backup originals) - Use KextHelper to install these kexts:

Kext_Helper_b7_2.zip

Extensions.zip

Included in Extensions.zip is FakeSMC.kext. When you install this one, remove DSMOS.Kext from your Extensions folder. DSMOS.Kext will cause a Kpanic if you upgrade to 10.6.2.

Also use the PS2 Trackpad and Wireless kexts located in top of post.

Repaired permissions and rebooted.

Now I have the ability to duel boot via Chameleon GUI - I boot -v again to ensure there is no issues. So far so good!

I get to my desktop and with this version of Chameleon I do not need to modify any kext for OSX to recognize my GPU (Graphics). Now we need to place a few files into /System/Extra folder - Plist.zip.

We now need to backup a few kexts from /System/Library/Extension. Backup SMBIOSResolver.kext and then delete it from the Extensions folder. Repair permissions.

Now we need to customize your boot setting. Use this AMAZINGLY useful tool Lizard - Lizard.zip

You can customize your apple.boot.plist you added to your /System/Extra folder with this tool: Below are my customized settings that work for me as I need a 32 bit kernel vs 64bit to have bluetooth working.

post-402375-1257537489_thumb.png

post-402375-1257537501_thumb.png

post-402375-1257537516_thumb.png

In addition, for proper CPU labeling I had to use About This Mac - AboutThisMac.pkg.zip

Okay, now Repair permissions and it's time to reboot! Boot -v and if there are any panics, let me know. If not let's move on!

Upon a successful reboot, you should now have proper Memory reading, CPU readings, and Graphics recognition.

post-402375-1257537713_thumb.png

post-402375-1257537741_thumb.png

post-402375-1257537516_thumb.png

Ideally, you should now be 80% done!

Now lets get the sound working. For me, VoodooHDA 64 worked like a charm. First, backup AppleHDA.kext and then delete it from your Extensions folder. Use KextHelper to install the Voodoo -VoodooHDA.kext_2.zip

Repair permissions and reboot -v.

You should now see during boot that your Sound is being loaded. Now when you're back at your desktop - you should have sound! Again, if any of the above steps do not work - let me know.

I did locate a Toshiba Bluetooth kext and a JMicron Card Reader Kext but it may not work on your particular system build if it is not identical to my build - Blue_JMicron.zip (32bit support only, for 64bit please see kexts above).

Repair permissions and reboot.

Up to this point, I have had everything working properly with the exception of my sleep. It does not wake up. I have tried patching a custom DSDT (I've read that with Chameleon RC3 this is not required). I haven't done my detective work to see if this can make a difference or not. Any recommendations are welcome!

This is my first tutorial and I know it needs more images and information. I will update it and do a clean install one more time to help troubleshoot any issues I come across.

Any requests or suggestions are more than welcome. Let me know!

post-402375-1257537668_thumb.png

Update 11/09/2009 - Located kext for 64bit Kernel Bluetooth Support!!!!

Update 11/06/2009 - Located kext for 64bit Kernel Atheros Wireless Support!!!!

Update 11/06/2009 - Modified PS2 kext for 64bit Kernel 'tap to click' trackpad support!!!!

Update 11/06/2009 - Modified kext for 64bit Kernel JMicron Card Reader Support!!!!

Details in original post above.

If you are planning to update to 10.6.2 the above steps will still work. I've included the 'sleepenabler.kext' in the original post that will need to be replaced prior to updating. If you forget this step, you will get a kernel panic.

Good luck!

• 2 years later...