Suspend OSX, boot Windows in Boot Camp, then Resume OSX: Possible?

ooglek

3 posts in this topic

In 2007 there was some mumblings that it would be possible that in Leopard you would be able to suspend OSX, boot into Windows via Boot camp, and then when you were done, resume OSX.

Here it is, November 2009, and I cannot find documentation on if this feature exists or not, either in Leopard or in Snow Leopard (I'm running 10.6.1).

First Question: Can OSX natively suspend OSX to disk, then boot into Windows via Boot Camp, then shut down Boot Camp and resume OSX?

If the answer to Q1 is no, then...

Second Question: If I install rEFIt, can I suspend OSX running on my Mac Pro, boot into Windows via Boot Camp, shut down Windows, and then resume OSX? I can't find any documentation or mention that rEFIt can or cannot facilitate this.

Third Question: Is there some other way to suspend OS X so I can boot into Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 Boot Camp Partition without shutting down OSX fully?

• 1 month later...
<br /><br /><br />

well i can tell you that you can do it on a hack that dual boots.

when in osx you have enter "deep sleep" with the deep sleep widget (its just hibernate with a different name) osx then writes to your hsf partition with the ram contents and shuts down the pc.

then when you start up your pc you just pick another disk to boot from or when darwin comes up you can pick your windows and boot into that, or if you pick osx it will load your hiberation image and you are back where you left off in osx.

so for those of us with a hack and a mac its only do-able on the hack.