HP Pavilion dv4-1220TX

darkN

11 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, mind my English but I'll try the best I could to make a guide for HP Pavilion dv4 series as I've been looking here and there in the net, but no avail. Basically this is my try & error to make an almost perfect installation for my laptop.

Microprocessor 2.66 GHz Intel Core2 Duo Processor T9550

Microprocessor Cache 6 MB L2 Cache

Memory 4096MB

Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS

Wifi card (I've switched to Broadcom 4135)

What you must have:

1. Installation image

2. MacLoader_SL_0.4

3. Modified IOPCIFamily.kext, AHCIPortInjector.kext, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, ApplePS2Controller.kext, NVEnabler 64.kext & VoodooHDA.kext

4. Latest EFI boot

What I've done is creating a bootable installation USB stick. (You can do a different approach, the idea is to get it to boot.) If anybody could come out with a better approach, please do post a reply so can the community can have benefit from it.

DSDT patching:

1. Unzip Macloader SL - go to 1_DSDT_Patcher folder.

2. Run 1_GetDSDT

3. Run 2_DSDTpatcher

Creating a bootable installation USB stick:

1. Restore your SL image to the USB stick.

2. Insert AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, ApplePS2Controller.kext & IOPCIFamily.kext into /MacLoader_SL_0.4/KEXTs/

3. Replace /MacLoader_SL_0.4/ScriptFiles/i386/boot with the latest EFI boot to enable CPU detection

3. Run 2_SnowLeoInstaller -follow the instructions & set some delay to boot. e.g 3 seconds

Installing Snow Leopard:

1. Straight forward. Boot from USB & do the usual stuff.

2. Restart

First boot:

1. Boot again from the USB stick, interrupt the countdown and select your fresh SL install.

2. Fill up your info to finish the installation.

3. Update to 10.6.1

4. Copy AHCIPortInjector.kext, NVEnabler 64.kext & VoodooHDA.kext into /System/Library/Extensions - the reason i copy the kept into the systems itself is because Snow Leopard automatically update the kext cache if the kext are added or deleted. Make sure you don't overwrite any of the original kext!

5. Repair kext permission, reboot, take off the USB stick and cross your finger.

Working:

- HP webcam

- Audio, mic

- Internal ethernet

Not working:

- Battery meter (jeezz… 15 minutes remaining after full charge???)

- No touchpad preferences (tried voodoo touchpad.. KP)

Wish list:

- I would really like to insert my graphic card EFI string to the boot.plist ... I just dont know how to get the code for my card.

- A working touch pad.. Not detected as a PS/2 mouse.

- Fully working voodooHDA (IDT kext maybe?)

Xbench Result

Results	190.06	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.6.1 (10B504)
	Physical RAM		4096 MB
	Model		MacPro3,1
	Drive Type		WDC WD3200BEVT-75ZCT2
CPU Test	190.64	
	GCD Loop	312.12	16.45 Mops/sec
	Floating Point Basic	152.47	3.62 Gflop/sec
	vecLib FFT	126.93	4.19 Gflop/sec
	Floating Point Library	299.32	52.12 Mops/sec
Thread Test	305.46	
	Computation	511.17	10.36 Mops/sec, 4 threads
	Lock Contention	217.81	9.37 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test	209.56	
	System	239.18	
		Allocate	442.28	1.62 Malloc/sec
		Fill	188.78	9178.97 MB/sec
		Copy	200.62	4143.67 MB/sec
	Stream	186.47	
		Copy	175.46	3623.98 MB/sec
		Scale	182.89	3778.44 MB/sec
		Add	199.12	4241.76 MB/sec
		Triad	190.04	4065.40 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test	232.51	
	Line	178.04	11.85 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	227.29	67.86 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	197.07	16.06 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	211.77	5.34 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	591.07	36.97 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test	90.79	
	Spinning Squares	90.79	115.17 frames/sec
User Interface Test	337.47	
	Elements	337.47	1.55 Krefresh/sec

1 OpenCL platform found!

[Platform 0]
Name: 		Apple
Vendor: 	Apple
Version: 	OpenCL 1.0 (Jul 15 2009 23:07:32)
Profile: 	FULL_PROFILE

ML_DV4.zip

additional_kext.zip

It seems that the internal card reader :

05:00.0 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2382]

05:00.2 SD Host controller [0805]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2381]

05:00.3 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2383]

05:00.4 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2384]

does not work with IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kextfc1 or 20091008_VoodooSDHC.kext

For IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kextfc1, it's in conflict with the modified IOPCIFamily.kext - Important kext to avoid USB device can't bla.. bla... from UIM error.

Guess have to go for more kext hunting. Hope to get some hint on modifying device id's... etc..

Where did you buy this computer? I was looking for a good notebook with some nice specs that had a guide for snow leopard and i found this one but when i looked on the internet for the dv4-1220tx, i found absoultly nothing (exept power cables) and i couldnt even get to it on hp's website.

If someone you could please put a link to buy this somewhere it would be greatly appreciatied cause everywhere i looked i only saw the dv4t and the dv4-1220US but (will either of these work by the same method?)

Where did you buy this computer? I was looking for a good notebook with some nice specs that had a guide for snow leopard and i found this one but when i looked on the internet for the dv4-1220tx, i found absoultly nothing (exept power cables) and i couldnt even get to it on hp's website.

If someone you could please put a link to buy this somewhere it would be greatly appreciatied cause everywhere i looked i only saw the dv4t and the dv4-1220US but (will either of these work by the same method?)

.... If someone you could please put a link to buy this somewhere it would be greatly appreciatied cause everywhere i looked i only saw the dv4t and the dv4-1220US but (will either of these work by the same method?)

From my personal opinion, this laptop is not the best model to run OS X... dv4-1220TX is for the Asian market i think. Coz there is the support link for the model, driver downloads, etc...

By the dv4-1220US specs, I assume it should work using the same method. good luck!

This is to answer hydrogen58's question.

In your readme you have Down this MacLoader_SL kit. I think you are refering to one of the two attachments.

Open unzipped MacLoader_SL....I have downloaded the attachment onto my desktop and I following Phase 1.1 instructions executing each of 1_DST_Patcher and 2_DSDTpatcher on my Macbook and doing the edit of dsdt-fixed.dsl...I can see the file DSDT.aml created and if I repeat the above process...I get only an .old file.

Phase 1.2 ...I recreated a partition on my thumb drive SnowLeoInstaller and is currently in the process of restoring DVD Installer.

A: When u see DSDT.aml there, the process is already completed, continue to next step

I went back to my Macbook and MacLoader_SL folder again.

When double 2_SnowLeoInstaller...there is a prompt to indicate volume/partition where the Snow Leopard DVD Install is...what do I actually key in. I am new to Mac...in PC world you enter something like k:\foldername\ ...what do I key in? Also in Phase 1.2 1-2 when completed will it make the thumb drive bootable?...is it step 5 that will make it bootable and move the KEXTs in

A: If your USB disk is named 'installer' just key in 'installer'. No need to type in the path. You should be able to boot from your USB stick.

I don't see any reference in your readme. Is this MacLoader_SL_0.4 an executable? I can see 3_MacLoader in the downloaded file...do you have to run 3_Macloader....when? what is the significant of MacLoader_SL_0.4 vs your readme instructions just MacLoader_SL

A: It's not an executable. It's the whole folder from my attachment. ML-DV4.zip

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks darkN - I have a dv4-1140 and I followed your guide and things mostly worked. Here's a report:

-Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Intel GMA X4500), native resolution (1280x800), but no QE/CI, HD full-screen video is choppy, with this kext

-Intell Wireless Wifi Link 5100 - does not work - but swapped with a Broadcom BCM 4321 and it worked (the Broadcom card seems already whitelisted)

-Realtek RTL8102 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) - works with the Realtek driver they have on their website

-IDT High Definition Audio - works. Even the hardware volume slider and mute on the top of the keyboard works.

-Battery works with VoodooBattery

Things that need more work:

-Sleep - does not work

-DVD/CDROM drives - have some problem - need more testing

-JMB38X 5-in-1 card reader - not tested yet

-Bluetooth (RFCOMM Protocal TDI) - not tested yet

-Clock not syncing with Vista/Ubuntu.... I'm triple booting.

Kext: using the kexts from ML_DV4.zip and additional_kext.zip, except the NVidia kext, which I swapped with the Intel GMA X3100 mentioned above. Also I remember updating to 10.6.2 caused KP because of the Sleepenabler.kext in ML_DV4.zip, but I then got the newest one from netkas.org, rebuilt the kext cache in E/E and it worked.

Kernel option: -x32 (otherwise it keeps waiting for DSMOS...... not sure how to fix this yet, but I don't need 64-bit right now)

Cheers

DSDT.aml.zip

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

• 2 months later...

See i have a mac but i dont know how to apple the dsdt patch! because i am not installing SL on that computer i am installing it on a HP DV4-1131tx! So how will that work pls some one help me!

See i have a mac but i dont know how to apple the dsdt patch! because i am not installing SL on that computer i am installing it on a HP DV4-1131tx! So how will that work pls some one help me!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 4 months later...

HP Pavilion is a nice product to use. And this product replies well to many projects like MS Office work and other gaming sections. But I was also using an HP DeskJet 2621 printer. In which I was facing a problem in that it does not process to server connection and was shown an error. Then my friend has suggested me to contact at HP printer for help: http://hpprintersupportnumbers.co.uk/blog/fix-hp-printer-server-connection-error-403/  Now my problem has been fixed.

• 1 year later...