[GUIDE] Asus P5Q: Vanilla SL Install + Optional Win 7 + Ubuntu Triple Boot on GPT Disk

thechasman

2 posts in this topic

--Edited 11/11/09--

Instructions for 10.6.2 update released 11/9/09:

Assuming Snow Leopard 10.6.1 was successfully installed all the way to step 3.21 below, you can update to 10.6.2 by following these steps:

3.22 Make a backup of current mach_kernel using osx86tools found Here.

3.23 Make a backup of current EFI partition (my EFI is in /dev/disk0s1):

sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
		 sudo mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
		 sudo cp -r /Volumes/EFI ~/Desktop/.
		 sudo umount -f /Volumes/EFI
		 sudo rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

3.24 Open "MacLoader_SL_0.4" folder in the "tools" folder of "SL_PQ5"

3.25 In the "KEXTs" folder, delete SleepEnabler.kext because it's not compatible with 10.6.2. We'll install a compatible one later.

3.26 Open "4_Updater" and follow prompts to generate a new Extensions.mkext without SleepEnabler.kext

3.27 You might want to mount EFI again to double-check that a new Extensions.mkext was created and that your working com.apple.Boot.plist was not overwritten. If it was, just copy over the one from ~/Desktop/EFI/Extra.

3.28 Unmount EFI and reboot computer.

3.29 After reboot, go ahead and update to 10.6.2 using Software Update. The 10.6.2 update file ranges in size from 157mb to 500mb depending on current state of your system. Mine was 157mb.

3.30 After the update is complete and the computer reboots, re-enable sleep by downloading a 10.6.2 compatible SleepEnabler.kext file Here.

3.31 Copy the new SleepEnabler.kext to the "KEXTs" folder of "MacLoader_SL_0.4".

3.32 Run "4_Updater" again to create a new Extensions.mkext with the new SleepEnabler.kext.

3.33 You might want to remount EFI again to check on the new Extensions.mkext and your old com.apple.Boot.plist. Unmount EFI when you're done.

3.34 Since sound will be affected by the new AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2, reinstall the old AppleHDA.kext by following step 3.20 below.

3.35 After rebooting you should have a fully working P5Q running 10.6.2.

--End Edit--

This is a guide I wrote up to install plain vanilla Snow Leopard on a regular Asus P5Q system. It has not been tested on Pro, Deluxe, E, EM, L-EM, QC, SE or any other versions of this motherboard. It includes the option to triple boot into Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.04 on a single GUID partitioned hard drive using only Chameleon 2 RC3 as the bootloader which is installed in the EFI partition. These steps have been tested twiced, with repeatable outcomes, so it's kind of robust.

First, credit goes where credit is due. I thank MACinized for his MacLoader_SL kit. I thank quaza for providing some of the kext files. Lastly, I thank juzzi for the modified 2102 P5Q BIOS.

My system setup:

Asus P5Q motherboard

Intel Xeon X3210 Core2Quad OC'd to 3.1GHz

4GB DDR2 RAM

Nvidia 8800GT 512MB

750GB WD Black SATA HDD (clean, unformatted, unpartitioned)

Pioneer IDE DVD-RW

Requirements:

1. P5Q system with a DVD drive and a clean unformatted HDD (a 750GB SATA HDD will be used in this guide)

2. Retail Snow Leopard DVD or image. Also a Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.04 installation disc if you want to triple boot.

3. Access to a Mac or hackintosh running MacOSX 10.5 or newer to restore the SL image and to run a script

4. An external USB storage device with at least 10GB free (I used an unformatted 400GB USB HDD).

5. Juzzi's modified 2102 BIOS for the P5Q: "2102-BIOS-Asus_P5Q_for_MAC_OS_X_&_all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM.zip" (get it from the link above). I'm sure the modified version 2002 will also work.

6. My "SL_P5Q.zip" package:

SL_P5Q.zip

MD5: 1207486459608d71610c3ad532ae26f2

STEP 1: BIOS SETUP

1.1. If you haven't done so, flash your P5Q with Juzzi's 2102 or 2002 BIOS.

1.2. In the BIOS, make sure "Storage Configuration" is set to "AHCI"

1.3. Since I have an IDE DVD drive attached, I also enabled both "Marvell IDE" and "Marvell IDE Boot ROM" in "Onboard Devices Configuration". Maybe it's not necessary if you have a SATA DVD drive.

STEP 2: RESTORE SL IMAGE TO EXTERNAL USB DRIVE

2.1. Connect your external USB drive to a Mac or hackintosh computer running 10.5 or newer

2.2. Copy the "SL_P5Q" folder to the desktop

2.3. Open Disk Utility and partition the external USB drive with 1 GUID partition and name it "SnowLeoInstall"

2.4. Use Restore to restore the Snow Leopard DMG file to "SnowLeoInstall" (uncheck erase destination). Search the forums if you need help with this step.

2.5. Close Disk Utility

2.6. Open "MacLoader_SL_0.4" folder in the "tools" folder of "SL_PQ5"

2.7. Open "2_SnowLeoInstaller" to install the Chameleon 2 RC3 bootloader to "SnowLeoInstall"

Where is Snow Leopard DVD Installer restored? => SnowLeoInstall

2.8. Copy the entire "SL_P5Q" folder in the desktop over to the root partition of external USB drive

STEP 3: INSTALL SNOW LEOPARD

3.1. Restart computer and boot from external USB drive

3.2. At the Chameleon boot menu, select "SnowLeoInstall"

3.3. Open Disk Utility from the Utilties menu

3.4. Partition the 750GB internal SATA HDD with 4 GUID partitions (***NOTE***: Even if you don't plan to triple boot, you should still reserve the two msdos-fat partitions now in case you want to triple boot later. The sizes of the partitions are up to you.)

120GB mac os extended (journaled) labeled "Snow Leopard"

80GB ms-dos (msdos-fat) labeled "WINDOWS7"

40GB ms-dos (msdos-fat) labeled "UBUNTU"

510GB free space

3.5. Close Disk Utility

3.6. Continue with installation of SL to the "Snow Leopard" partition

3.7. Use Customize to deselect everything except "X11" and "Rosetta"

3.8. Click "Install" and wait until it's finished

3.9. After finished, restart computer and boot with external USB drive

3.10. At the Chameleon boot menu, select your newly installed "Snow Leopard" partition

3.11. Go ahead and go through the "Create Your Account" steps

3.12. Copy over the "SL_P5Q" folder from external USB drive onto the desktop

3.13. Open a terminal:

cd /usr/standalone/i386

Check if the file "boot0" is there. If it's not, then copy it over from "SL_P5Q":

sudo cp ~/Desktop/SL_P5Q/tools/MacLoader_SL_0.4/ScriptFiles/i386/boot0 /usr/standalone/i386/

If you don't do this you might get the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory" in the next step

3.14. Open "MacLoader_SL_0.4" folder in the "tools" folder of "SL_PQ5". Check to make sure a com.apple.Boot.plist file exists in the ScriptFiles subfolder. Running the script "2_SnowLeoInstaller" earlier may have removed the file. If not there, then copy the one in MacLoader_SL_0.4 folder into ScriptFiles subfolder.

3.15. Open "3_MacLoader" to install Chameleon 2 RC3 into EFI partition of "Snow Leopard":

Do you want to setup MacLoader in the EFI-partition? y/n => y
				 Where is retail Snow Leopard installed? => Snow Leopard
				 Enter preferred boot Timeout (number of seconds) => 5

3.16. Open another terminal:

sudo -s
				 diskutil list	 (find out where EFI of "Snow Leopard" is, e.g. disk0s1)
				 mkdir /Volumes/EFI
				 mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
				 killall Finder
				 cd /Volumes/EFI/Extra
				 rm -rf Extensions.kext/
				 mkdir Extensions
				 cp -R ~/Desktop/SL_P5Q/tools/MacLoader_SL_0.4/KEXTs/*.kext Extensions/
				 chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra
				 chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions
				 chmod -R 755 /Volumes/EFI/Extra
				 chmod -R 755 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

This is a good time to edit the com.apple.Boot.plist:

nano /Volumes/EFI/Extra/com.appple.Boot.plist

Add the following lines for a high resolution boot menu:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
				 <string>1920x1200x32</string>
				 <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
				 <string>Yes</string>
				 <key>Instant Menu</key>
				 <string>No</string>

Change "arch=i386" to "arch=x86_64" to boot into 64-bit mode by default

This is also a good time to add the EFI strings for your video card to the com.apple.Boot.plist using EFIStudio. Search the forums on how to do this.

Save the com.apple.Boot.plist file and exit nano

3.17. Unmount EFI volume:

umount -f /Volumes/EFI
				 rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

3.18. Eject the external USB drive and restart computer

3.19. After restart, update to 10.6.1 and restart

3.20. We want to enable audio:

Open "Kext Helper b7" in "SLE" folder of "SL_P5Q"

Drag and drop "AppleHDA.kext" also in "SLE" folder into Kext Helper window

Enter password and click "Easy Install"

Restart the computer

3.21. At this time you should have a fully working, mostly vanilla SL hackintosh on the P5Q. Stop here if you want. Continue if you also want Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

STEP 4: TRIPLE BOOT WITH WINDOWS 7 AND UBUNTU 9.04:

4.1. We will install Windows 7 first. I purchased 64-bit Windows 7 Professional RTM so that's what I'll use.

4.2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD and boot into Windows 7 installer

4.3. Choose "Custom Install" and select the "WINDOWS7" partition we created earlier

4.4. Go to "Drive options" and click "Format" to format the partition to NTFS

4.5. Continue with the installation

4.6. After the installation is finished, you can only boot into Windows 7 as the Windows boot manager takes over Chameleon. This is perfectly expected and OK. We'll fix it in the end.

4.7. Proceed to install Ubuntu. Take out the Windows 7 install DVD and put Ubuntu install CD into drive and restart. I am using the 64-bit desktop version of Ubuntu 9.04.

4.8. At the menu, select Install Ubuntu

4.9. At "Prepare disk space", select "Specify partitions manually (advanced)"

Here's the partition scheme on my 750GB HDD:

/dev/sda1 200mb hfs+ (this is the SL EFI partition)

/dev/sda2 120gb hfs+ ("Snow Leopard")

free space 134mb (Windows created GPT partition?)

/dev/sda3 80gb ntfs ("Windows 7")

/dev/sda4 40gb fat32 (We'll install Ubuntu here)

free space 510gb (empty, unpartitioned, unformatted space we'll use for swap and shared data)

4.10. At "Prepare partitions":

Select /dev/sda4

Click "Edit partition"

New parititon size: 42949 mb

Use as: ext4 journaling file system

Format partition: check

Mount point: /

Click OK

Select 510gb free space

Click "New partition"

New partition size: 6000 mb (used 1.5X physical memory size)

Location for new partition: beginning

Use as: swap area

Click OK

/dev/sda5 is now swap

4.11. Click "Forward" button until "Ready to install" screen

4.12. Click "Advanced" button

Check "install boot loader"

Device for boot loader installation: /dev/sda4

Click OK

4.13. Click "Install"

4.14. Restart the computer and you will get a blank screen with only a flashing cursor. This is OK.

4.15. Put in Ubuntu installation CD again and restart computer

4.16. Select "Try ubuntu without any change to your computer"

4.17. Once you're at the desktop, plug in the external USB drive "SnowLeoInstall"

4.18. Go to "SL_P5Q" folder, then "tools" folder, then "gptsync" folder

4.19. Double-click on "gptsync_0.13-8_amd64.deb" to install gptsync package. There's also a "gptsync_0.13-8_i386.deb" if you're running 32-bit Ubuntu.

4.20. Open a terminal:

sudo -s
				 fdisk /dev/sda

It will show:

/dev/sda1 GPT

/dev/sda4 * Empty

Hit q to exit fdisk

gptsync /dev/sda

It will show proposed new MBR partition table:

1 ee EFI Protective

2 af Mac OS X HFS+

3 af Mac OS X HFS+

4* 07 NTFS/HPFS

May I update the MBR as printed above? [y/N]: y
				 fdisk /dev/sda

It will now show:

/dev/sda1 ee GPT

/dev/sda2 af Unknown

/dev/sda3 af Unknown

/dev/sda4* 7 HPFS/NTFS

Hit q to exit fdisk

4.21. Unmount and unplug external USB drive

4.22. Restart computer and remove Ubuntu CD

4.23. After restart, you will get a Windows boot manager error: "status: 0xc000000e" "Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccesible"

4.24. Insert the Windows 7 install DVD and press Enter to restart

4.25. Click "Repair your computer", then select "Repair and restart"

4.25b. If your Windows partition does not show up for repair, reboot computer into SL with bootloader from SnowLeoInstall on external drive.

4.25c. Once in SL, open up a terminal and use fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 to set the Windows 7 partition as active (assuming it's on disk0s3: f 3, w, y, q)

4.25d. Reboot with the Windows 7 install DVD and the Windows 7 partition should now show up for "Repair and restart"

4.26. Remove the Windows 7 install DVD

4.27. You can now boot into Windows 7, but still not SL or Ubuntu

4.28. In Windows 7, open a MS-DOS window terminal:

diskpart
				   list disk
				   select Disk X	(X=disk where you installed all the OS, should be Disk 0)
				   list partition
				   select Partition X	(X=partition containing 200mb EFI, should be Partition 2)
				   Active
				   exit

4.29. Restart the computer

4.30. Chameleon bootloader works again and you can now boot into Snow Leopard, Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

Enjoy.

STEP 5: UPDATING THE CHAMELEON BOOTLOADER

Download the Chameleon files, not the package installer, from chameleon.osx86.hu

It will be on the right of the page under New Releases, the top one named 'Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640-bin.tar.gz [724.97KB] '

Double-click to extract files.

Then open Terminal

cd (then a space) to the i386 folder in the newly downloaded folder. Drag it from the finder to after cd in Terminal.

and remembering to replace the numbers in red with what you need.

type

sudo -s

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s1 (assumes disk0s1 = EFI partition)

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

f 1

w

y

q

mount the EFI partition and copy over the "boot" file to /Volumes/EFI/

chown and chmod if necessary

then reboot.

-thechasman

• 7 months later...

Hi Thechasmen, first I would like to thank you for your excellent tutorial.

I used this process and I've already got snow leopard installed, but I have two problems, can you help me solve them?

First- I make the installation of snow with the new SleepEnabler.kext, can I update to version 10.6.3 ?

Second- for lack of space in the IDE HDD I want to eliminate the win7 and install a fresh copy on the same Sata HDD where is the snow leopard installed, so I took some space to the partition of the Time Machine and created a new partition with Gparted.

When I formatted the new partition to NTFS and tried installing win7 Ultimate 32bits I could not, because I can not go to the next step, I get a warning message that windows can not be installed on a GPT partition, so I get the same version of windows 7 but at 64bits and I have the same problem, but if I try to install the 64bits version in the IDE HDD (MBR partition) it installs fine. How can I solve this problem?

Sorry for my bad English, it is the fault of Google translator.

Thanks in advance

rom11