Problem updating to Leopard 10.5.8 in VMWare Workstation 6.5.0

5 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone...

I installed Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.5 into my copy of VMWare Workstation 6.5 with the host as Win Vista. I am trying to run the iPhone SDK, however, the newest version states I must have OS X Leopard 10.5.7 or above to run it. So I checked for the software update, downloaded it and started installing it. Halfway through, it threw up a message along the lines of "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button" I had no clue what to do, and then VMWare said (something along the lines of) "The Guest OS has disabled the CPU, you must restart at this point".

So I powered off Leopard, and powered it on again, while at the grey apple booting screen, it just comes up with that message again, as well as the VMWare error.

Anyway of fixing this? Or at least someway to successfully update Mac OS X 10.5.5?

Thanks...

You see, this is a good reason why you should create snapshots before risky updates. If you'd created a snapshot you could've easily undone the damage.

If you have no snapshot, try booting in console mode with "-s" and see if it's able to get to the console. If you can't boot console, boot from the installation DVD, and in the starting stage, there's an option to run tools from the menu, you can run Terminal. Go to /Volumes, the boot partition should be mounted there under whatever name you gave it.

The are a couple of kexts that the most problematic. One is AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Just delete it. Another is AppleSMBIOS.kext. You can't just delete this. If you're not using a boot-loader with SMBIOS injection you need to replace AppleSMBIOS.kext with a hacked version that does the job - use the one from your previous install if you can.

If you can't rescue the system, you'll have to reinstall your original working system from scratch.

The best way to upgrade to 10.5.7 or 10.5.8 is to use one of the iDeneb combo updates instead of the one from Apple. They've already moved all the dangerous kexts to another location.

You see, this is a good reason why you should create snapshots before risky updates. If you'd created a snapshot you could've easily undone the damage.

If you have no snapshot, try booting in console mode with "-s" and see if it's able to get to the console. If you can't boot console, boot from the installation DVD, and in the starting stage, there's an option to run tools from the menu, you can run Terminal. Go to /Volumes, the boot partition should be mounted there under whatever name you gave it.

The are a couple of kexts that the most problematic. One is AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Just delete it. Another is AppleSMBIOS.kext. You can't just delete this. If you're not using a boot-loader with SMBIOS injection you need to replace AppleSMBIOS.kext with a hacked version that does the job - use the one from your previous install if you can.

If you can't rescue the system, you'll have to reinstall your original working system from scratch.

The best way to upgrade to 10.5.7 or 10.5.8 is to use one of the iDeneb combo updates instead of the one from Apple. They've already moved all the dangerous kexts to another location.

Thanks... I am really new to all this virtualization. I have found a snapshot to revert to... and it works. Any chance you could link me to the iDeneb install instructions to install a SDK-compatible update?

There are no links to iDeneb. You have to get it via bittorrent, and I don't think torrent links are allowed on this board. Search the web for "iDeneb combo update".

There's another way - you can install a kext called Disabler.kext that stops AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. This is the kext that causes the powerdown during the update. I think if you have Disabler running, you can complete the update using Apple's original updater. You might still have a problem with AppleSMBIOS after rebooting, so you should backup your original just in case, and you may have to restore the original AppleSMBIOS after installing the upgrade but before rebooting.

There are no links to iDeneb. You have to get it via bittorrent, and I don't think torrent links are allowed on this board. Search the web for "iDeneb combo update".

There's another way - you can install a kext called Disabler.kext that stops AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. This is the kext that causes the powerdown during the update. I think if you have Disabler running, you can complete the update using Apple's original updater. You might still have a problem with AppleSMBIOS after rebooting, so you should backup your original just in case, and you may have to restore the original AppleSMBIOS after installing the upgrade but before rebooting.

Thanks for the help... I'll have a look into both.