Hp z800 Workstation Install Guide for OSX85 10.5.7

Wayland

7 posts in this topic

"After A LONG TIME of figuring out the ins and outs of how to get the Hp Z800 Workstation to work, I logged my steps as to repeat them if I needed to and to let you all know, or anyone else for that matter, how to get this thing to work.

As a side note, it's been a long time since I was in the game of doing this and have returned to find so many useful applications and other great resources, but was quickly reminded why I ended up buying a Mac Pro years ago.

That being said, you might have some better ideas on how to do something, but this is what works the best after all my testing. This document is made strictly for educational purposes (of course) and don't pirate software..."

Here is the Machine:

tower.jpg

Here are the specs:

Processor type

Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core processor (2.93 Ghz 6 Gigs of 1333 MHz Memory)

Processor front side bus

800 to 1333 MHz Front Side Bus

Chipset: Dual Intel® 5520

Memory

6 Gigs DDR3 1333 MHz ECC Unbuffered or Registered DIMMs

Memory slots: 12 DIMM slots

Internal drives

3 external 5.25" bays (up to 4 eSATA, up to 8 SAS)

Internal drives

Up to 5 3.5" SATA drives, or up to 6 2.5" SATA drives, or up to 5 3.5" SAS drives

Storage controller

Integrated 6 channel SATA 3 Gb/s controller with RAID (0, 1, 5 or 10) capability, integrated 8 channel SAS controller with RAID (0, 1 or 10) capability, optional LSI 8888 ELP 8-port SAS HW with RAID (0, 1, 5 or 10) capability

Optical drives

HP SATA DVD-ROM Drive

Flexible disk drive

Optional 1.44 MB Diskette Drive

System features

Internal audio

Integrated High Definition Realtek ALC262 Audio

Expansion slots

1 PCI, 1 PCI Express Gen1 (x8 mechanically, x4 electrically), 1 PCI Express Gen2 (x8 mechanically, x4 electrically), 2 PCI Express Gen2 (x16 mechanically, x8 electrically), 2 PCI Express Gen2 x16

External I/O ports

Front: 3 USB 2.0, 1 IEEE 1394a, 1 microphone in, 1 headphone out; Rear: 6 USB 2.0, 1 IEEE 1394a, 1 audio in, 1 audio out, 1 microphone in, 2 PS/2, 2 RJ-45 to integrated Gb LAN, 1 serial; Internal: 3 USB 2.0

Graphic card 01

Professional 2D: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 (1 GB)

Network interface

Integrated dual Broadcom 5764, Infineon TPM 1.2 Controller

I bolded the NVIDIA CARD because the "Displayports", the new connections for monitors, sucks in both windows and OSX. Well, they don't work in OSX, and are glitchy in windows. Get a different card, I didn't have a choice. Also the Broadcom 5764 doesn't work. Some people are working on drivers or adapting what they have, but I need gigabit, and it wasn't worth the hassle.

pci.jpg

These are cards I added on:

Nvidia Gt7300 (Mac Edition) - Lets me get 2 extra monitors attached.

Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Pro MT Dual Port Server Adapter (PCI-X, but I let the pins hang over in the PCI Slot) - Hard to see in picture.

PCI-E Firewire 800 Card

sata.jpg

Hard Drive Configuration

You'll notice in the pic a lot of options for Sata and SAS drives. The top 6 ports are for AHCI and the bottom 8 are for SAS drives. Don't be fooled though, you can plug the SATA drives into the SAS ports with no noticible speed differences.

Which to use? And why are all my drives in SAS ports?

The SAS ports are Compatible with EFI loaders, such as Chameleon. The AHCI ports are NOT. Which means you can't boot from AHCI with Chameleon. The AHCI bootloader looks at the hard drive to boot off of and says "Error" when trying to load from the AHCI drive. AHCI works in OSX, but you can't boot from it with the most recent EFI loaders. This isn't a problem with Chameleon, it's all in the motherboard's crappy setup. BUT SAS works fine, so you can simply plug your drives into those and it will work. SAS drivers are on the OSX install native and work perfectly, so don't sweat it. If you want to boot to the SAS drive and have Chameleon select an AHCI drive to boot off of, you can actually do that. You just want to disable the AHCI boot Rom in the bios.

By Default, the computer's SATA cables for it's rackmounted Sata drives, seen below, are patched into the AHCI ports, so I just moved them down to SAS.

drives.jpg

I like to label my drives so I know what is where. Currently Chameleon loads Windows 7 great, I just need to select the "System Reserved" option from the list and not the actual Windows 7 Drive. Windows XP, however, I haven't got to work from Chameleon. I'm not too concerned with this as XP is there just for very rare occasions.

HOW TO INSTALL

• I assume you know how to get iAtkos 7, 10.5.7, so I'm not going to tell you how to get it. But get it and use it, but follow this guide closely, as you will need to.
  • You need a PS2 Mouse and PS2 Keyboard, to make things easier, as you will lose USB after install and the mouse and keyboard make it easy to fix.
  • Ok, so put your DVD drive and your Hard drive onto an SAS Port. DO IT, and don't argue or I'll pull this tutorial over.
  • Next, after you turn the computer on, go into your Bios settings, I believe it's f10.
  • Update your Bios to the newest version. 1.17 currently. This might not be a dealbreaker, but the newest version works.
  • These settings are FOR INSTALL ONLY!
  • Go To-> Advanced -> Device Options
  • Disable Multi-Processors (MUST BE DONE! Cpus=1 option does not work on this board. Too many cores!)
  • Disable NIX-PXE (Because it slows up the boot through bios. If you use it, leave it on, but my guess is you won't)
  • Disable Sata Raid Option ROM Download (This makes AHCI Unbootable)
  • You can set what other options you need to, Boot options, etc, but I advise not to change too many settings from the defaults. The reason being, inside the Security Tab, there are options that if disabled, don't let OSX boot. I played around for a long time before I figured out that one.
  • Insert your disc and select f9 to boot from Optical storage. (Yes I'm including every step)
  • Select the f8 option once iAtkos dvd starts to load.
  • NOW, this is VERY important. The bootoption you must type in for the install to work is this:
  • "-v busratio=22"
  • The Busratio for this computer is 22, and if you don't put that in, the computer won't load and will crash at the kernel.
  • Install should load as normal and you should partition a new drive with the GUID option selected for the boot.

Here are options to Find and select for the customized install.

#1. Chameleon V2 (Should be default)

#2. DSMOS

#3. Natit (For My graphics card)

#3.5 (Corevidia optional, but I installed it)

#4. Nvidia Gt200 (Once again for my card)

#5. Under System - AHCI (YOU MUST HAVE AHCI on in bios. By default it is on, but if you changed it to IDE, it will not load. If you followed my steps, you should be fine)

#6 Sound - Voodoo HDA (Works nicely)

#7. Ps/2 Mouse - Voodoo Ps/2 Driver (Trust me, you'll need it!)

#8. Intel Pro Network Drivers (For my card I installed)

#9. OHR (I'm not sure if this is required, but I installed it anyway)

After you complete the install and reboot, you will notice your USB devices don't work. Do not panic. Go in and remove the AppleHPET.kext from your System\Extensions folder. Reboot, and you will have USB.

Now on Reboot, go back into your bios via F10, and re-enable your Multi-Processors option that you disabled in the Advanced section.

Your computer should now be ready to use.

The onboard NIC card will not work of course, and if you want to develop a driver, OR patch one yourself, feel free. The device is as follows:

Broadcom NetXtreme Gigbit Ethernet

14e4&Dev_1684

Post Install notes:

"After installation I have gone through my installs and updated everything and it all seems to work just fine. I'm having slight problems with more advanced programs like Avid Media Composer, but that could be due to many different reasons. Most of the avid software must be force-installed and that usually doesn't work too well. All the other programs seem to function as they should. FCP must remove the network interface preferences as seen in other tutorials. AND and Upgrade to ver 10.5.8 killed my install and would load the GUI, but I'm sure it is because of my graphics card"

AND YES, my Signature is very old!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I have a HP z800 running Windows 7 64-bit and I'm trying to install iAtcos 10.5.7 on it using virtual box. I can't seem to get through the install. I'm wondering what steps from above are important to my application and any I should ignore?

Thanks in advance! :(

Hi,

I have a HP z800 running Windows 7 64-bit and I'm trying to install iAtcos 10.5.7 on it using virtual box. I can't seem to get through the install. I'm wondering what steps from above are important to my application and any I should ignore?

Thanks in advance! :)

Virtual Box? I'm not familiar with that. You mean you're trying to run OSX inside of Windows?

Oh... ok. Its an open source virtualization software that is meant to be pretty good. (www.virtualbox.org)

Yes I'm installing Mac OSX on a Windows 7 64bit machine. I've been trying to working off this step by step guide...

http://www.taranfx.com/install-snow-leopard-virtualbox

I am hoping that with the knowledge you have you might be able to tip me off to get this install over the line.

As it is... I can create an OSX virtual machine and do the install of Leopard, but when it reboots it goes to install again. I'm not sure which/if the custom install options are applicable to me.

ie. do I need to open my machine and rewire etc?

Any clues would be of great help!

• 5 months later...