Partioning for FCP editing

HarshaDS

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've just entered the world of OSX and made the transition quite smoothly ( only ONE sleepless night.. :) ) thanks to the help of GOUNAH , my sensei in this endeavor. My system is working very smoothly with all components recognised and working (yes sound too... :D ). I am familiar with the setting-up of partitions for Vista for my needs, usually keeping my 1st physical HDD partitioned as follows:

• 100GB ---- Vista64
  • 30GB ---- Applications
  • 100GB----- Scratch (including page file if editing large images or HD files)
  • 270GB----- Data

That approximates the way I have a 500GB setup for both photo and video editing for the first disk, the rest are for DATA including a 4TB RAID array for Video editing and photo archival.

With the acquisition of a 5D II, the editing needs of the format basically pointed to FCP as the solution. Well I built the Vista machine, and even though all my hardware doesn't seem to be in the HCL for OSX, I managed to get.... let me rephrase that ....Gounah managed to get me up and running with my hardware and iATKOS v7. Now I wish to see if there is an correct way to get my OSX86 Leopard 10.5.7 and FCP 7 running optimally for 5D II editing. I have a dedicated 300GB Velociraptor for setting up the OS and FCP, not being familiar with how OSX deals with page files (not sure they even exist in OSX) or if you need to or even can set up your applications on another partition I come to you for your expert advice. Forgive the long winded post, but from what I have read elsewhere on here it seems to be better to give as much information as possible in asking a question.

H.

welcome to FCP. are you talking about the cannon 5d mark ii slr camera? In any case FCP likes to use HFS for its scratch drive. It doesnt matter if it's MBR or GUID. NTSF wont work and FAT32 will eat larger video files. when you open FCP set the scratch via the menu item Final Cut Pro>System Settings. Set the scratches, autosave and caches. I usually put all this in a scratch folder and all my assets in another folder, and depending on the speed of the drive (the vr should rock it) these two folders are on the same drive with the project file. This drive is usually not the same physical drive as the OS. The big speed boost comes when rendering complex filters or generators, or working with multiple clips of HD.

PS, that's a decent spec. let us know how it renders.

Hi Adrock42,

Thank you for the welcome to these forums. I am indeed talking about the Canon 5D II camera, and though it has limitations, it also has the advantage of being able to fit all my Canon lenses and give me the same control I have for taking stills. My thoughts are now after having read the information you have so graciously given, is to use the WD Velociraptor with a single partition with OSX and FCP on it and get a Caviar BLACK 1TB to keep the assets and scratch on, with 300GB for just the OS and Applications the VR might also be enough to let it handle the scratch. I just put up my specs. up for the machine I'm running which is a Q9550 quad core running @ 3.8GHz and 8Gb of RAM with a GTX260 Nvidia graphics card. I'm hoping that this will allow me to work as close to real time editing for the type of footage I'm hoping to start working with. Your help and advice is gratefully received and I thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

H.