Snow leopard

athletics29

17 posts in this topic

I have Leopard running just fine. Bookmark this thread, and when I finally get Snow Leopard (as in a few days), I'll tell you if I could get it running, and if so how to.

Also, tell me if you want me to explain how to install Leopard on there. The chance of getting Snow Leopard running is slim, as the computer is barely supported under Leopard. I have VESAv3.0.

Could you tell me if your running Leopard, if you have PCI support? if put it a card which I knew wouldn't work to see if it is detected in System Profiler (it wasn't, not even as "Unknown" but "No PCI cards detected".). I'm afraid to spend 100 bukcs for a graphics card if it won't work. I'm fine with VESA, but graphics card is a cheaper solution, as I don't want a 1024x768 monitor (only VESA v3 capable monitor I have), and 1600x1200 = 320$.

Don't worry, after a bit more research, I found out it is possible to run Snow Leopard on it if you have a Core 2 (do you?). I will be doing the installation this weekend (I just got my disk) and when I'm done will give a guide.

in case you don't know, you need the following in your system:

1. Intel Core 2 [anything], or i5/7. If you have a P4, it's do-able.

2. A separate, dedicated gfx card. I recently ordered a very cheap 8400GS 256mb, and it should work (I haven't gotten it yet). (the one built in is incompatible, and you can only have generic VESA v3 graphics, meaning 1024x768, 1280-1024, and 1600x1200. Also, no effects. The $34.99 is worth the money.)

3. A legal copy of Snow Leopard.

I will have no problem explaining, But what Processor do you have?

(sorry for the double post)

Whether or not it is possible to get 10.6 working, you'll need 10.5 to get 10.6, and if you can't get 10.6, you'll want 10.5. So, at the moment I am writing a guide for 10.5 installation. Probably online tomorrow or the day after. the 10.6 guide may be late as I have many other things going on right now, and can not contribute all my time to this. Though, I hope to have 10.6 done soon, and get the guide done as well.

Again, what processor do you have ;)

Ok, so, as of the moment I'm unable to boot Snow Leopard successfully. The only guides to get by this are to install by running OSInstall.pkg, but that always results in a buggy install, with more kernel panics than needed. Trying to get by this using a combination of the Lifehacker guide, my knowledge, and the other guide, but no avail.

In terms of the Leopard 10.5 guide, I am half way done writing it, so good news is on the way. And, if you're still there, what processor do you have!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Ok, so, as of the moment I'm unable to boot Snow Leopard successfully. The only guides to get by this are to install by running OSInstall.pkg, but that always results in a buggy install, with more kernel panics than needed. Trying to get by this using a combination of the Lifehacker guide, my knowledge, and the other guide, but no avail.

In terms of the Leopard 10.5 guide, I am half way done writing it, so good news is on the way. And, if you're still there, what processor do you have!!! :rolleyes:

my processer is an intel® Core2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66 GHz

Then you'll be fine. I'll be posting the how to for Leopard hopefully tonight, probably tomorrow.

in addition, I have successfully gotten Snow Leopard working. The process on doing it is pretty easy for what we're doing. However, unless you have a Mac that you can borrow to do a few steps, you'll need Leopard installed before hand.

Start preping for the guide, you'll need iAtkos v5i (usual places, Forum Policy means I can't tell you). You'll also need a blank DVD (not ReWritable/RW) to burn it on to, and a dedicated GFX card if you want the full effect. If you don't have a dedicated GFX card, you'll be stuck with the resolutions 1024x768, 1280x1024, or 1600x1200, and some effects won't work (for example, cover flow in itunes [it will in Finder], menu bar transparency, and pretty much any game).

-weeze

sorry for the delay, I have been helping out around the forums, and been cramming my own work, OSx86 and for school. I found an easier method for installing it, and I am rewriting the guide, so, for now, you'll have to wait. Do you hafe iAtkos downloaded? if not, don't because there's an easier CD for the computer, iPC. If you have iAtkos, tell me and I'll walk you through it.

sorry for the delay, I have been helping out around the forums, and been cramming my own work, OSx86 and for school. I found an easier method for installing it, and I am rewriting the guide, so, for now, you'll have to wait. Do you hafe iAtkos downloaded? if not, don't because there's an easier CD for the computer, iPC. If you have iAtkos, tell me and I'll walk you through it.

i have both

This is not a final copy, when I do have a final copy it will be posted in the Genius Bar, and this be removed. More info at the end.

You will need:

1. an iPC 10.5.x install disc. This guide was tested with 10.5.6 with PPF5, use this for the most compatibility. Obtain by the usual means, DO NOT ask question about obtaining this.

2. An Intel Core 2 processor. I don't know how to run the install on a P4, but it involves using the Voodoo kernel, and Software Update = no-no, so Other guides would be more appropiate. However, If you are wondering how to get drivers for the ethernet, sound, or gfx on a P4, it is the same as for an Intel Core 2, so that will be explained. So, read on if you can boot without these things. Otherwise, continue with another guide then come back.

3. The computer this guide is intended for. For those of you without, obviously general purpose guides would be better, however, this guide is good fore very similar computers, and replacing the drivers-part of the customize process with your specs, you should have a working installation if you have a Core 2 or i5/7 processor.

4. That's it. Surprised? Me too.

This guide is a result of a year of on and off work. Probably in all my testing of OSx86 on the Inspiron, to get to work it has probably been about a week, meaning not including eating, sleeping, and the time in between where I wasn't running OS X. This probably took about a week in time of touching the Dell computer and/or attached periphials in time, to get this good of an installation. In fact, I thought this was enough fun that I will say this: this is a spoiler. (You weren't expecting that.) Trust me, you'll look back on trying to get the computer to work and say "that was fun". Give it a go before giving up and reading this. //rant

Though, you're probably here for a reason, (e.g Just wanna get it going, couldn't, or etc,) so just read on.

I have had many successful installations, but I keep doing them to make it less work, so if you have any sugestions to this, please, by all means, reply with a fix to the article and I'll add it if I feel neccisary.

Before continuing, please backup all your data, as we will be wiping your hard drive in the process!

Also, I reccomend printing this out! Read through the whole thing, read through it again, then print and follow step by step!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Installation Time!

I: BIOS Setup. This only applies to the Insprion 530.

1. Turn on the computer. Hold F2 on boot up to open Setup.

2. In Boot Device COnfiguration, set Second and Third boot device to Disabled and First to Hard Disk. Then, make sure in Hard Disk Boot Priority, that the SATA is 1.

3. Inside Integrated Peripherals, have the following:

+ USB Device Stting

- USB Controller: Enabled

- USB Operation: High Speed

- Onboard FDC: Disabled (probably doesn't matter)

- Onboard Audio: Enabled

- Onboard LAN: Enabled

- Onboard LAN Boot: Disabled (probably Doesn't matter)

- SATA Mode: IDE

4. Inside Power Management Setup have ACPI Suspend Type as [s3(STR)]. Everything else should be off.

5. Save & Exit Setup

II: Boot up the Installation Disc.

1. When the computer reboots (or when you turn it back on) hold F12 until it says Loading Boot Menu on the bottom corner of the screen. Select the CDROM option.

2. Wait a second (literally). When it says 'Press any key to start from the CD-ROM, or press F8 to enter startup options' press F8.

3. Type in (without quotes) "-v". Then press enter.

4. The text should go to a smaller size and start to scroll. Just wait, -v told the CD to tell us exactly what's going on (e.g. all this text), so wait. It took about 5 minutes until it turns into a graphical screen. If the text stops at some point and you don't hear the disc in the computer going, and it's been 15 minutes, take a picture and post in the Installation section of these forums. You have a boot error. (With the Insiron and the 10.5.6 iPC disc, it sohuld work without problems).

III: Partitioning.

1. At this point, if no problems, you should be seeing an Apple, "Mac OS X", and a selection of languages to choose from. If you can read this, guide, select English :P.

2. Wait for it to prepare installation. When done, the Menu bar should appear, along with the text in the center of the screen, "iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3". Good.

3. Go to Utilities > Disk Utility...

4. Once open, click the Hard drive that is not indented in the side bar. The ones indented in the side bar are partitions, while the non indented are drives. The Drive (not partition) should, in the name, have the size of the drive, so click that one.

5. Goto the Partition tab. CLick the dropdown that says CUrrent. Select 1 Partition. The Whitebox under it should turn into a completely blank white one with Untitled text in it.

6. Under the box, select Options. Click the dot next to GUID Partition Table. then OK.

7. Click the text "Untitled" in the box, and then on the right in the Name Box, type what you want to name it. Most common include "Macintosh HD" or "Leopard". For Format, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then hit apply.

8. Wait for it to finish, then when it's done, click the Disk Utitlity Menu, then Quit.

IV: Installation!!!

1. At this point, you'll be back at the Welcome screen. Click continue. If your the technical type, read the agreement (it's actually all about iPC and installing OSx86, not a license at all). Agree.

2. Select Macintosh HD or Leopard or whatever you named the paratition, then hit Continue.

3. Hit Customize. Fun TIME! (sarcasticnist). For those of you who tried this before this guide, you know what I mean...

4. Open up the iPC Drop down, Then Drivers. Skip the rest to 6 if your going to use the generic VESA. For Video Drivers, you should have a dedicated card, as the onboard is not supported, only VESA. If you have any of these:

Then don't select one, you'll just use the onboard VESA for now. Until we fix it :). If not, go through the chipset maker of the card "Nvidia, ATi, etc." and select the one that looks good for you. Select each one, read the description, and after you read em all, click the one you want., but, no matter what, ONLY SELECT ONE!.

5. Under Chipset, select Intel ICHx SATA Drivers.

6. Audio wise, The Inspiron 530 comes with the ALC888, or at least mine does. Under Audio select ALC888.

7. Under Ethernet, select Intel 82566MM/DC.

8. If you have a Wireless card installed that is under the Wireless Drivers section, go ahead and select it!

9. Close on up the Drivers section. Open up Fixes and Patches and select the "Shutdown/Restart Fix". make sure the description for it says something about the OpenHaltRestart.kext. Then check it. Select Patch DSDT un DSDT Patches. The AppleSMBIOS Patch is optional, but if you know your RAM, select one. Close up Fixes and Patches.

10. Don't select an alternative bootloader unless you have a P4 and can't use Software Update anyway.

11. Under Applications, make sure you select OSx86 Tools Utitlity. We'll need this for the Video (if you have dedicated).

12. You're done. close, and click Install. For me, it took about 5 minutes. Very fast, considering it takes longer to do this on most Macs ;).

13. When it's done, click Restart! it should shutdown, if text shows up but it doesn't shut down, just hold the power button. Then Boot up.

V: First boot

1. Boot this up like a normal computer, but remove the CD. On the boot up, Welcome to your Mac! When it asks you for your Apple ID and/or Registration Information, press Win+Q to skip it. Go through to the desktop.

2. When at the Desktop, goto Applications>OSx86 Tools. hit Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag.

3. Hit GFX Strings button. Choose your card from the drop down. If it's not there, repsond and I'll walk you through it. This works for almost all GFX cards, (EFI Studio is supposed to do the same, but doesn't work for me, and OSx86 Tools does, so there!)

4. Select all in the Hexadecimal EFI String (device=properties) box. Close out (without writing anything, so you can just hit OSX86Tools>QUit...

5. Open Finder, then Go>Go to folder... For the folder, type /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

6. Drag out com.apple.Boot.plist to your desktop and open it. Add this:

<key>device-properties</key>

7. Then enter to a new line, and type <string>[PASTE]</string>, where paste what you copied in place of [PASTE].

8. Save it, drag it back in to the folder, click Authenticate, Replace, type your password, and reboot. YOu should now have working grahpics!

Congrats! This guide was not proofread, but it should work for you, so here. It'll be proofread, fixed, simplified, and among others, then posted to the Genius Bar. At that point this will be replaced with a link. I'm sorry for making you wait.

Edited by weeze

This is me being an idiot: The above guide does not work with Software Update! iPC (i'm guessing) does not have a script that configures Software Update automatically.

Your effort is appreciated anyway..

As I have iAtkos5i around, would that distro work ? I can see that you planned iAtkos5i but switched to iPC in the final guide.

Your effort is appreciated anyway..

As I have iAtkos5i around, would that distro work ? I can see that you planned iAtkos5i but switched to iPC in the final guide.

I think I have iatkos v7 I will have to check my computer will v7work or will have to torrent v5