Fan keeps stuttering/pulsating/panting/puffing (iDeneb)

Leo Mack

2 posts in this topic

I installed iDeneb 1.6 (OSX 10.5.8) and everything works perfectly, except the fan. It is quiet when it should be and runs at full speed when it should, but at intermediate workloads it pulsates at a frequency of once every two seconds. It goes from quiet to full in a second, and back to quiet in the next second, etc. Like having a dog under your desk.

I followed these instructions (includes replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext with a version that includes AppleACPIThermal), but it didn't help. Also tried different kernels (9.8.0 Qoopz and 9.5.0 Voodoo); different PS/2 driver (though ApplePS/2Old gets a load error at boot); ACPI fix. Everything keeps running great except this.

The machine reports no temperature reading on the CPU (in TemperatureMonitor etc.), but I'm not sure whether that is significant, because the fan certainly reacts to temperature changes (it runs high when the CPU has been at a high percentage for a while).

With iDeneb 1.4 (OSX 10.5.6) the problem also exists; with Kalyway (10.5.1) it didn't.

I have a Pentium 4 on an Asus PTGD1 motherboard with a 915/ICH6 chipset. Can anyone suggest something please? The web seems to be out of usable ideas...

• 1 month later...

The ACPI_fix works for me, but it's an Acer Aspire 5315 with Celeron.

Drivers:

Audio: VoodooHDA (ALC286 sound)

Chipset: ICHxFixed (without this the DVD not visible)

SystemManagement: VoodooBattery (battery status)

x86Patches:

ACPI_fix (it solves the fan issue)

PS2Drivers: ApplePS2Controller (the old PS2 kexts, without this package, no keyboard after install)

The Kalyway version never booted up on this machine.