Tampered with video resolution, now it boots only to a lightblue screen of death

Petruza

1 post in this topic

Hi! I had my iATKOS 7 OSX86 working perfectly.

I changed to a new monitor and set the video resolution to 1280x1024 from the Display Settings pane.

It went to a lightblue screen of death (LBSOD from now on) no problem, it did this every time I switched resolution, but after a reboot, everything worked.

Now it didn't.

I managed to boot only once from the Darwin prompt with "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32"

Then I decided to edit com.apple.Boot.plist and add the same command but as a plist entry.

Now I can't even boot with graphics ok from the darwin prompt. I tried lower resolutions, 1024, 800, different bit depths and different refresh frequencies ( mine is VESA 3 ) but nothing gets more than a LBSOD.

The os boots ok, as I can hear Exposé complaining when I move the mouse to a screen corner, and I still can reboot with control-option-F12, only the graphics are not showing.

I tried logging into single user mode, did a sudo nano on com.apple.Boot.plist, but I can't save it because it says "Write only filesystem"

Is there a way to write com.apple.Boot.plist from single user mode? Is it possible to access the filesystem not read only?

Any alternative to fix this? thanks!

PS: this is the final version of my com.apple.Boot.plist with the graphics mode string added:

Is it possible that I screwed it with tabs or whitespace? I just copied a key-string pair and modified it. Now that I see it pasted here, it does have a strange tab indentation, but can that make it not work?

I copied the file to the desktop, edited it with textedit, and copied it back to SystemConfiguration. ( I first had to delete the original as it wouldn't let me overwrite it )

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
   <plist version="1.0">
   <dict>
	   <key>Kernel</key>
	   <string>mach_kernel</string>
	   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
	   <string></string>
	   <key>Boot Graphics</key>
	   <string>Yes</string>
		   <key>Quiet Boot</key>
		   <string>No</string>
		   <key>Graphics Mode</key>
		   <string>1280x1024x32</string>