[HELP]New At DuelBooting. ~Vostro 220, Win7 + Mac OS X 10.5.7

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

Basically here is how it goes.

I have Vostro 220 4GB Ram 300GB Hard drive, Nvidia geforce 8400GS.

Just yesterday I figured out how to get Mac OS X 10.5.7 [iATKOS v7] on my comp, working just fine.

[Thanks to giovannizero]

And these are the INSTRUCTIONS OF INSTALLING MAC I got from giovannizero,

'Install instructions as of Aug, 7 2009 using iAtkos v7

-Disable all advanced CPU settings in the Bios

-Put in the iAtkos v7 DVD and boot

-Click customize on install screen and select the following:

-x86 ACPI

-Drivers->VGA->nVidia (Depends on the graphics card you got, I have a GeForce 8600 GT)

->EFI strings, DVI/VGA

->Enablers -> NVEnabler

-System

SATA/IDE->AHCI

->IntelSpeedstep'

Only problem was I have no ethernet ports in my room, so I have to work wirelessly, and my USB linksys wireless adapter is not compatible with Mac.

I have Chamelon duelboot from iAtkos v7 already, but does not work how it should....

[Alot of people are using 'GRUB' how do I get that? Do I download it? Or?????? Im new at duel booting so I have NO idea how to get the programs to duelboot or anything.

AND I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE TO HOW TO PARTITION. DO YOU PARTITION FROM iATKOS DISK UTILTY OPTION OR AFTER INSTALLTING WIN7 AND PARTITIONING FROM THERE? ]

And I was previously using Win 7 Ultimate, and wireless working flawlessly. So I thought, why not duel boot?

So these were the steps I took [by my self]

[NOTE: I read the forums and most people had suggested win installation first, BUT I figured out that later...]

1- Inserted iAtkos DVD Back in -> Went to disk utilities -> Erased OS -> Went to partition -> Created 2 Partitions [~~Don't know if I did it right~~] I made 1 Partition size of 200GB Labeled MAC OS X. Other partition I just kept as Freespace Size of 98.4 something.

2- Reinstalled Mac os X.

3- Put Win7 Ultimate cd in -> went to installation -> Picked the Unallocated Space and Installed.

4- After both were installed, I restarted the comp without any CD, and ONLY Win7 would boot up, there was NO option to pick to the OS you want.

[NOTE: I Did this AGAIN After Step 5, BUT this time After installtion Win7, I put the iAtkos CD in again, but this time I went to the installation, went to customize and Installed ONLY the BootLoader Section AND the only 1 Selected was "Chalemon v2" or something]

5- Then I put back win7 CD -> Custom Options -> Deleted every partition -> Installed Win7 -> After all that, Installed Mac OS X again. Then Restarted comp without any DVD's.

This time the chamelon boot loader DID Show up, and I just pressed a key and it showed me 4 things to chose

-MAC OS X -> Clicked it, working fine

-'Reserved' -> Clicked it Said Win 7 Was damaged or something. Told me to insert Win7 CD and Repair or something. tried that didn't work. Maybe I will try this whole process again.

-HTFS -> Clicking it Said 'BOOTMGR' Is missing

- And some unreadable option. -> Clicked it and Just showed some slash rotating very top left of the screen. Didn't Do anything.

[NOTE: Had to restart everytime to check each 1 out]

So Guys I have tried many combos And I don't even know what I am doing.

PLEASE Can some 1 help me :*(

These are the most important questions I have.

-How to partition

-Order to install iAtkos and Win7

-How to get another Bootloader and How to make it work

[Preferably GRUB, which works for alot of people

- Or maybe I am doing the installation of Mac Os X wrong, any 1 suggest what else to pick in the "CUSTOMIZE" Section right before you do the installation of Mac OS X?

Only problem was I have no ethernet ports in my room, so I have to work wirelessly, and my USB linksys wireless adapter is not compatible with Mac.

You might be able to track down drivers. Check the manufacturer's Web site, and if that fails, look for the adapter's chipset's manufacturer's Web site. That's how I got my TrendNet TEW-424UB to work.

I have Chamelon duelboot from iAtkos v7 already, but does not work how it should....

[Alot of people are using 'GRUB' how do I get that? Do I download it? Or?????? Im new at duel booting so I have NO idea how to get the programs to duelboot or anything.

First, it's "dual" booting, not "duel" booting. The latter evokes images of 18th-Century gentlemen walking twenty paces and throwing their boots at one another. :thumbsup_anim:

As to the rest, GRUB is the Grand Unified Bootloader. See its Web page:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

AFAIK, GRUB is not, by itself, able to boot OSx86; you must use it in conjunction with an OSx86-specific boot loader. For a Windows/OSx86 system, I don't see any advantage in using GRUB, unless perhaps you've got a complex system with multiple hard disks of different types or multiple Windows installations or something -- and maybe not even then. GRUB is the default boot loader for most Linux installations, and it's a good choice if you've got more than two OSes, but as I say, you'll still need an OSx86-specific boot loader to get OSx86 running.

Backing up a bit, a boot loader is just a program that sits along the chain of software between the BIOS and a completely running OS. The BIOS runs code in the first sector of the hard disk when the computer starts. This code is known as the primary boot loader. On a Windows-only system, this code normally just loads and runs code from the boot sector of the Windows partition (the secondary boot loader), which in turn loads and runs code in certain key Windows files. On a multi-OS system, you've got to interrupt that chain somewhere and redirect the boot process to a user-selectable OS. Normally, you replace the primary boot loader with one provided by your OS; but it's also possible to redirect the normal primary boot loader boot process to your second OS's partition and use its own secondary boot loader. In the OSx86 world, a few boot loaders, such as Chameleon and PC-EFI, are commonplace. In addition to the usual boot loader task, they must make the system look enough like a Mac to get the kernel to run.

AND I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE TO HOW TO PARTITION. DO YOU PARTITION FROM iATKOS DISK UTILTY OPTION OR AFTER INSTALLTING WIN7 AND PARTITIONING FROM THERE?

Partitioning can be done with any of dozens of tools, including the OSx86 Disk Utility, GNU Parted and its relatives (common on Linux), many tools called "fdisk" (many implementations exist for different OSes), and so on. Partitioning is just slicing the disk up into different parts, one (or more) for each OS. Check the Wikipedia article on partitioning for some basic information on partitioning theory.

-How to partition

There are many ways to do this, in terms of the software you use, what partitioning system you use (MBR or hybrid MBR/GPT), and how many partitions you make and where to place them. Overall, I recommend you keep it simple: Two primary MBR partitions, one for Windows and one for OS X. Set them both up either before you install anything or when you install your first OS. (You may need to adjust the partition type code when you install the second OS; the installer will probably give an option to do this, but may not use the term "partition type code;" it may just let you select the partition for installation or refer to formatting it.)

-Order to install iAtkos and Win7

Either will work, but both have their advantages and disadvantages. Windows tends to wipe out the more advanced OSx86 boot loader, which you'll need to select your OS when you boot, so installing Windows first helps simplify boot loader configuration. (There are third-party Windows-based boot loaders that can help on this score, though.) OTOH, Windows sometimes gets confused by partition changes during another OS's installation if you install Windows first. Thus, if you install Windows first, it's doubly important that you set up your OS X partition before you install Windows. You might try booting your OSx86 installer and going as far as the Disk Utility partitioning step, then reboot using the Windows installer, install Windows, and reboot the OSx86 installer.

-How to get another Bootloader and How to make it work

[Preferably GRUB, which works for alot of people

You can download GRUB from its Web page (see above), but it won't really help you.

k well, I got it to duel boot perfectly. but it wasn't from these forums :D

Got it another place with my own touch.

Only problem still no internet connection on the Mac os X, but I do have internet on my win7 ultimate.

Sorry for the Misspell lol. Dual w.e :P

And I can't figure out why it takes 5 min for my Mac OS X 10.5.8 to load, while my windows loads in less than 14 sec.

Any ideas to that?

Btw I pmed you rod smith. I also have a spare trendnet TEW-423PI/A H/W:C1.2R Laying around.

k well, I got it to duel boot perfectly. but it wasn't from these forums :D

Got it another place with my own touch.

You might want to post the procedure you followed, for the benefit of people who search the forum in the future.

And I can't figure out why it takes 5 min for my Mac OS X 10.5.8 to load, while my windows loads in less than 14 sec.

Any ideas to that?

Probably a driver is being sluggish about starting up. You can use the "-v" option in most OSx86 boot loaders to replace the standard graphical Apple logo with spinning circular activity indicator with a text-mode screen that shows what's being loaded. Chances are you'll see either a long delay at one item or a long series of messages from one driver over much of that 5-minute load time. If it's a driver you're not using, you could then disable it to speed up the boot time. If it's necessary, you could try alternatives, but there's no guarantee you'd have much luck. FWIW, my desktop Hackintosh has a long boot time because its Ethernet driver has a long delay like this. (I don't think it's quite 5 minutes, but it pauses for a minute or so when booting.)

You might want to post the procedure you followed, for the benefit of people who search the forum in the future.

Probably a driver is being sluggish about starting up. You can use the "-v" option in most OSx86 boot loaders to replace the standard graphical Apple logo with spinning circular activity indicator with a text-mode screen that shows what's being loaded. Chances are you'll see either a long delay at one item or a long series of messages from one driver over much of that 5-minute load time. If it's a driver you're not using, you could then disable it to speed up the boot time. If it's necessary, you could try alternatives, but there's no guarantee you'd have much luck. FWIW, my desktop Hackintosh has a long boot time because its Ethernet driver has a long delay like this. (I don't think it's quite 5 minutes, but it pauses for a minute or so when booting.)

1) I was planning to post the method as soon as I had time.

2) Where do I put the "-v" considering I have 3 bootloaders, EASYBSD program's bootloader, darwin, and charmelon. Or is it in the Mac OS its self.

[if any of them dont count as bootloaders tell me xD, still learning :tomato:]

And don't really wanna screw with any of them lol.

2) Where do I put the "-v" considering I have 3 bootloaders, EASYBSD program's bootloader, darwin, and charmelon. Or is it in the Mac OS its self.

As I said, your OSx86 boot loader -- Chameleon, if that's what you're using. If this is a recent Chameleon with a graphical interface, you need to press the Tab key when you see it appear. That'll give you a text-based "boot:" prompt, or something similar. (I'm going from memory here, so I might be slightly off in my descriptions.) Type "-v" and hit the Enter key at this point.