[solved] Internal SATA drive not visable

27 posts in this topic

Hi Bladerunner,

I have your same processor, but mine is lga 775. I have tried to install Snow Leopard on my system with a usb stick (8gb), but when it boot I have always a generic Kernel Panic, can you post details installation?

many thanks

Max

I assume (always dangerous) that you are talking about putting the installer on the 8Gb stick. Still, the process is about the same for the installed version as well.

You need to have a running copy of Leopard to work from. Collect all the files/packages yu are likely to need prior to starting. Mount your target drive/stick and partition it as you need. I would recommend using GUID partition map.

Once the target partition is formatted, install Chameleon2-RC1 + PC-EFI 10.1 on that partition. Then, install OS X. and adjust your /Volumes/target/Extra content.

The best thing I can recommend is to look at the following guides and follow the one in Prasys' blog. It contains links to most of the tools and kext you will need. Also, you will need a patched kernel. There are several ources with links to the modbin kernels. I would suggest using an IRC client and going to the #snowleopard channel. The topic there contains links to the kernels and most of the kext you will need.

The way I bootstrapped my SnowLeo install was to create a retail install dvd image and mount it. Then, in a terminal session (as root) open the Osinstall.mpkg and install SL on the target partition. Again, using the terminal session I copied kext I needed into the Extra/Extensions folder on the target drive. When I tried to boot the first time, I boot to single user (-s) because several of the kext don't play nice when loaded directly from Extra/Extensions. So, boot in single user and use kextchche to build Extra/Extensions.mkext and then reboot.

Once I got to a working copy of SnowLeo I went back to my running copy of leopard and copied the SL Extra folder over to a holding area to use as a package when building my USB stick installer. When the installer was working I did a clean install of SnowLeo using the installer and the pre-packaged Extra folder from the previous work. Now, SnowLeo is installed nearly vanilla with no mods in the /S/L/E folder.

these are links to the guides I used:

prasys' Blog

helical.net guide

Project OSX DSDT patching

Don't know if this will be helpful, but it's the best I could do. Good luck!

---------

BladeRunner