Overclocking Dual G4 MDD 867mhz - L3 cache info?

thewk

2 posts in this topic

I have succesfully overclocked Dual G4 867mhz machine by changing the FSB from 133mhz to 166mhz, I removed the two resistors, R676 and R22. I have tested that the machine is stable in Xbench 1.3, Geekbench and in normal usage. G4 chips in my machine are RX933PC so they are rated for 933mhz and now working at 1080mhz.

But, I looked up the Samsung L3 cache chips on my processor card and as far as I know, they are rated for 250mhz (-HC25). L3 cache in MDD models with 1MB of it operate at 4:1 ratio, meaning that the cache in my machine is already operating out of spec, at 270mhz.

Is there any software which I can use to verify the L3 cache speed? Xbench displays incorrect speed, ~4Ghz. I wonder if there is a way to modify L3 cache ratio to 5:1 so I could possibly overclock even further, to 1.25 Ghz? Probably I could just try and see if it can take it, but I would like hear if anyone in here has ever done overclocking for their Dual MDD 867mhz machines and was it how succesful?

I have succesfully overclocked Dual G4 867mhz machine by changing the FSB from 133mhz to 166mhz, I removed the two resistors, R676 and R22. I have tested that the machine is stable in Xbench 1.3, Geekbench and in normal usage. G4 chips in my machine are RX933PC so they are rated for 933mhz and now working at 1080mhz.

But, I looked up the Samsung L3 cache chips on my processor card and as far as I know, they are rated for 250mhz (-HC25). L3 cache in MDD models with 1MB of it operate at 4:1 ratio, meaning that the cache in my machine is already operating out of spec, at 270mhz.

Is there any software which I can use to verify the L3 cache speed? Xbench displays incorrect speed, ~4Ghz. I wonder if there is a way to modify L3 cache ratio to 5:1 so I could possibly overclock even further, to 1.25 Ghz? Probably I could just try and see if it can take it, but I would like hear if anyone in here has ever done overclocking for their Dual MDD 867mhz machines and was it how succesful?

I think that if downclock the cache, then only 8:1.