UK Buyers, please advise!

5 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'm over in the UK and from what I can gather computer components in the UK are more expensive than in the US.

For example the Gigabyte EP45-UD3R is about £119 from Newegg, and from www.misco.co.uk it's £112. That's not right, at the current rate it should be more like £75. The same doesn't extend to all items, processors for example seem pretty consistent. What gives?

Also, does anyone from the UK know of the best place for cheap parts? So far I've been using www.microdirect.co.uk for pretty much everything and www.misco.co.uk for the mobo (Micro Direct doesn't stock gigabyte boards.)

Thanks!

Hmm I was hoping that wasn't the case but oh well...

Apple have always been notoriously bad for not varying the UK from the American ones properly. It's a bit of a joke really, but I guess we just have to accept it.

Thanks for the up on pricerunner, I'll make sure to check it out. I want to try and get as many things from one place as possible to try and cut down delivery costs.

The search continues!

Trouble is that we Europeans have a very high VAT (up to 25% in Sweden!), and Great Britain is an island, which means additional cost for shipping, especially on heavy devices.

Here in France, retailers are used to make higher margins using a 1$=1€ conversion rate for dummies, but smart people buy their games and DVDs in the UK (mainly from play.com), and hardware in Germany, from hardwareversand.de, alternate.de and caseking.de—case parts, fans and heatsinks only, much like performance.pcs in the US). They deliver all over Europe and the first and last one are partly translated in English if you click on the Union Jack. You may also use Google traduction for that purpose.

Prices are usually lower than anywhere else in Europe, but shipping is costly and it's much more appealing for a complete rig.