iPC 10.5.6 install on GA-MA770-DS3 - 8 GB of RAM

skyhack

1 post in this topic

I have 2 AMD machines.

I have successfully set up iPC 10.5.6 on my "development" box with no issues and got the 9800GTX card fully supported using Aquamac's instructions

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=509

Thanks Aqua-mac!!!

Development box uses :-

AMD 7750

GA-M56S-S3

4GB DDR2 Ram

9800GTX Graphics Card

My "production" box is giving me hell, specs as follows

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+

GA-MA770-DS3

8GB DDR2 Ram

EN9800GTX+ DK/HTDI/512M

Samsung 46inch TV - HDMI input

The only distribution I can get to the installation stage is iPC 10.5.6 and I can only do this by booting the install in safe mode ( -x -v).

The installation completes and after rebooting I get a black screen ( and sometimes brown ) with a mouse pointer that responds. I can boot successfully in safe mode but this is not usable as I need to have VMware running.

From research I thought I had a display problem so I tried every possible combination of display kexts, NVinject, NVdarwin, NVkush and the EFI string method with no additional kexts.

I have cleared the caches with OSX86tools and started my system with -f after each change.

I have inserted the loaded HDD into my dev box and OSX started up successfully, so I loaded the latest 9000 series drivers.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132089 - 9000 series drivers

When I put the HDD back into my production system and I still get the black screen ( and sometimes a brown ) with a mouse pointer that responds on a normal boot.

I have tried 2 other video cards, a 9800GTX and a 9600GT ( both of these work fully in my development system ) but I still get the black screen with a standard boot.

I have tried using a using a standard Sun computer monitor.

I have tried setting different resolutions via the plist file

Safe boot works with the correct resolution detected (1080x1920)

Edit

Got things going by booting with maxmem=5120 - it seems my build does not like 8GB of RAM, more work required there.

I have changed my com.apple.Boot.plist file to include:-

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>maxmem=5120<string>