[How To] Asus Striker II Extreme Successful Install

bobbo

Helpfulness  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Was this guide helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did you have any problems that were not recognized by this guide?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you like to see future guides from here?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

7 posts in this topic

Here are instructions on how to successfully install Leopard 10.5.7 on an Asus Striker II Extreme motherboard. You will be able to make sound, internet and 4+ gb of ram to run by following this guide.

*Update* These instructions WILL get you to make your Striker II Extreme work, however, it will not be very stable. This is mostly due, to my belief, because of the NForceATA.kext.

Before beginning, please note that it is not my intention to promote or encourage the installation of OSX86. If you do intend to experiment with it, please do buy a license and hardware from Apple. This is being written purely for demonstration purposes. Also, if anything is unclear, feel free to pm me so that I will clear things up to the best of my ability.

First, set your bios according to the chart listed on here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry899331, I have also attached the chart to this page for ease. Now, use iATKOS v7 for the installation, when it begins to count down, press F8 and boot with "-v maxmem=2048 cpus=1". If it happens that it does not reach the installation screen and stops midway while loading "AppleNForceATA" and such, this is expected. To correct this, the Extensions.mkext file located in the /System/Library folder of the iATKOS DVD will have to be modified. When modifying this file, you will need to replace the AppleNForceATA.kext which is included in the zip file attached to this page.

The way to modify the Extensions.mkext is by doing the following (instructions derived from http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f145/1264.htm):

run these commands in terminal:

sudo su (enter your password after this line)

mkdir /DVD_Extensions

mkextunpack -d /DVD_Extensions /Volumes/Jas\ OS\ 10.4.7/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

(Your DVD name may be different so replace the "Jas\ OS\ 10.4.7" part with whatever yours is called, noting that the \ after a word is needed in order to put a space in. This will extract all of the extensions in the mkext file into /DVD_Extensions.)

All of the extensions in this folder are flattened meaning that anything that would be in a plugins folder within a kext is now located right next to the kext that would normally contain it. This means that the AppleGenericPCATA.kext that is normally in IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ is now located in the /DVD_Extensions along with IOATAFamily.kext. This means that if you're adding a new kext that contains plugins, you will need to place each kext into the /DVD_Extensions folder. This shouldn't matter if you're using kexts without plugins.

After you add the AppleNForce.kext in the bootup Extension.mkext, run these commands:

chown -R root:wheel /DVD_Extensions

chmod -R 755 /DVD_Extensions

now you'll be able to run the kextcache.

kextcache -m /Extensions.mkext /DVD_Extensions

this will now create a new Extensions.mkext on your root / folder which you can then use transmac or whatever to replace the old one.

If you're in Mac, you can mount the image as readwrite by doing this:

hdiutil attach /"Your Image Name Here" -readwrite

This will let you copy the files directly to the image.

With that done, you can burn your modified copy of the image and boot off of it still using "-v maxmem=2048 cpus=1". While you are working with the AppleNForce.kext file, burn it and the nforcelan, onto a cd, putting it on a thumb drive didn't seem to work for me. You will be needing this later.

FYI: I used an SATA HDD and CD Drive for this project.

Enter the Disk Utility, format the partition you want to install OSX on and make sure its partition map scheme is GUID Partition Table. This can be accomplished by clicking on options in the partition tab of the Disk Utility. Next, select only the settings checked in the attached image (Take note that several drivers will be added after the main installation takes place). You will find, that after the installation is completed, you will most likely not be able to boot into your installation, nothing to worry about. Let the computer restart and re-boot into the iATKOS DVD. From there, open the terminal and type the following:

sudo -s

enter password

cp -R /Volumes/"the name of the cd or partition you have your AppleNForceATA.kext on" /Volumes/"name of the partition you're installing osx on"/System/Library/Extensions/

rm -R /Volumes/"name of the partition you're installing osx on"/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Give it 10 seconds or so to recreate the new Extensions.mkext (it will happen on its own)

reboot

Congratulations :) , at this point, you should be getting the Apple music and registration screen. After filling it out, you will need to fix your internet driver because currently, there is no Ethernet port recognized by the system. This is easily fixed by running the nforcelan installer included in the zip file.

For the graphics, I used OSX86 Tools to create the graphics driver, which ended up working perfectly.

You should now have a completed installation on your Striker II Extreme. Good Luck!

I did not spend time proof reading this or making the English perfect, so try to go around any grammatical mistakes that may have slipped through. If I forgot to cite any of the sources I used, my apologies, please notify me and i will correct it.

Update: It seems that when moving large files, the system randomly freezes. If anybody has any idea as to what is causing this, please do post!

folder.zip

post-161306-1248505002_thumb.jpg

post-161306-1248505017_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I need, I have a pc with this description:

• Asus Striker II Extreme (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) • Intel ® Core2 Quad Q8200 • OCZ 4GB Kit DDR3 Reaper • Asus ENGTX260 896Mb DDR3 HDTV • Sangsung 1TB SATA2 •

Follow all the steps properly and installed iATKOS v7 successfully. In the end it starts to crash and reboot at boot OS X.

I will reboot the system and start with -v -x and am attentive to the description in the final encounter me that the keyboard does not work ...

Can you help me?

Follows a pic that gives me the error and do not let me boot the system:

img0007zwa.jpg

Unfortunately, after installing and booting up successfully, it does tend to crash when downloading large files off the internet or copying large files to and from both internal drives and usb drives. I have not found a way to correct this, and as far as i'm concerned, the thing to blame for these problems is the AppleNForceATA.kext. Hopefully they will make an updated version of it that will be able to support this board better, but for now, this is all i was able to get.

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately, after installing and booting up successfully, it does tend to crash when downloading large files off the internet or copying large files to and from both internal drives and usb drives. I have not found a way to correct this, and as far as i'm concerned, the thing to blame for these problems is the AppleNForceATA.kext. Hopefully they will make an updated version of it that will be able to support this board better, but for now, this is all i was able to get.

I have a fully functional, almost perfectly stable Leopard install running on a striker ii extreme, dual 9800gtx and 4gb of ram with a q9650. In your case, I suggest you make sure your kexts match your kernel version and Seatbelt.kext is the one compatible with your kernel. I replaced a bunch of kexts (and installed the basic package from universal installer) and I have an ALMOST perfect stable install. RARELY do I get a KP

ps. I started with kalyway 10.5.1 and update straight to 10.5.8

• 3 weeks later...

Im a noob to OSx86 and I just cant understand what he means by this. Im currently runnin same specs. How would I go about makin these kext modifications to the ISO while under Ubuntu, Windows. I even have the option of usin Mac OS thru VMware under my Windows and Ubuntu install.

Any help would be appreciated and please dumb it down.

Here are instructions on how to successfully install Leopard 10.5.7 on an Asus Striker II Extreme motherboard. You will be able to make sound, internet and 4+ gb of ram to run by following this guide.

*Update* These instructions WILL get you to make your Striker II Extreme work, however, it will not be very stable. This is mostly due, to my belief, because of the NForceATA.kext.

Before beginning, please note that it is not my intention to promote or encourage the installation of OSX86. If you do intend to experiment with it, please do buy a license and hardware from Apple. This is being written purely for demonstration purposes. Also, if anything is unclear, feel free to pm me so that I will clear things up to the best of my ability.

First, set your bios according to the chart listed on here, I have also attached the chart to this page for ease. Now, use iATKOS v7 for the installation, when it begins to count down, press F8 and boot with "-v maxmem=2048 cpus=1". If it happens that it does not reach the installation screen and stops midway while loading "AppleNForceATA" and such, this is expected. To correct this, the Extensions.mkext file located in the /System/Library folder of the iATKOS DVD will have to be modified. When modifying this file, you will need to replace the AppleNForceATA.kext which is included in the zip file attached to this page.

The way to modify the Extensions.mkext is by doing the following (instructions derived from http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f145/1264.htm):

With that done, you can burn your modified copy of the image and boot off of it still using "-v maxmem=2048 cpus=1". While you are working with the AppleNForce.kext file, burn it and the nforcelan, onto a cd, putting it on a thumb drive didn't seem to work for me. You will be needing this later.

FYI: I used an SATA HDD and CD Drive for this project.

Enter the Disk Utility, format the partition you want to install OSX on and make sure its partition map scheme is GUID Partition Table. This can be accomplished by clicking on options in the partition tab of the Disk Utility. Next, select only the settings checked in the attached image (Take note that several drivers will be added after the main installation takes place). You will find, that after the installation is completed, you will most likely not be able to boot into your installation, nothing to worry about. Let the computer restart and re-boot into the iATKOS DVD. From there, open the terminal and type the following:

sudo -s

enter password

cp -R /Volumes/"the name of the cd or partition you have your AppleNForceATA.kext on" /Volumes/"name of the partition you're installing osx on"/System/Library/Extensions/

rm -R /Volumes/"name of the partition you're installing osx on"/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Give it 10 seconds or so to recreate the new Extensions.mkext (it will happen on its own)

reboot

Congratulations :) , at this point, you should be getting the Apple music and registration screen. After filling it out, you will need to fix your internet driver because currently, there is no Ethernet port recognized by the system. This is easily fixed by running the nforcelan installer included in the zip file.

For the graphics, I used OSX86 Tools to create the graphics driver, which ended up working perfectly.

You should now have a completed installation on your Striker II Extreme. Good Luck!

I did not spend time proof reading this or making the English perfect, so try to go around any grammatical mistakes that may have slipped through. If I forgot to cite any of the sources I used, my apologies, please notify me and i will correct it.

Update: It seems that when moving large files, the system randomly freezes. If anybody has any idea as to what is causing this, please do post!

You forgot to mention that the BIOS chart you have linked to here is mine, from my Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO topic.........

• 8 months later...