[GUIDE] Easiest Dual Boot Ever

9 posts in this topic

After searching for weeks how to install mac onto my system then trying to install a dual boot system I was about to give up hope then one day I kind got it figured for myself.

Here goes:

I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILTY FOR YOU MESSING UP BOTH DRIVES... THIS WILL ONLY HAPPEN IF YOU DONT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS

To Dual boot Vista and OSX 10.5.7 iAtkos.

First of all you need these to prepare... 2 HDDs sizes to your preference. 1 Vista Disk and 1 OSX86 iAtkos Disk (slowly Burned...lol), EASY BCD.

Step 1. Plug in 1 of your SATA drives and install Vista ( Or whichever windows system you prefer). Once installed install EasyBCD (dont play with the boot manager yet)

Step 2. Once Vista is installed unplug that HDD from the SATA port and plug in the other HDD you have and install iAtkos 10.5.7 making sure that voodoo kernal 9.7.0 is selected and the Chameleon Bootloader v.2 is also.

Step 3. Make sure that your OSX boots up.

Step 4. Plug your Vista HDD back into the 1st SATA port into the SATA Port and boot up. Now you are in your vista system open the EasyBCD that you installed earlier and create another entry into the bootloader for you MAC select the imac option and make sure it creates a NST folder in the root directory.

Step 5. Now plug in your second HDD (the one with your osx on) into SATA port 2.

Step 6. FINISH SIT BACK AND GET A COFFEE

Now when you boot you will be presented with the vista bootloader. Select either one. your MAC Might take some time to boot but when it does DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING WHEN PRESENTED WITH THE CHAMELEON BOOTLOADER.

even got Time Machine to work using a seperate partition on my Vista drive... just formatted the partition as raw then booted up my OSX then formatted it as my time machine backup.

Just a quick note.... i attempted it again but this time switched the drives so my mac was the first drive... this time when it boots up I am immediately presented with the chameleon bootloader instead of the vista bootloader.... and you guessed it... IT WORKS FINE

Finally someone using to separate disks for the dual boot tutorial!

Thank you for posting this. I'm sure other will appreciate as well.

I do it the same way, however I just hit F12 for boot device and select the drive I want. Works good to. ;)

Nice job.

Select either one. your MAC Might take some time to boot but when it does DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING WHEN PRESENTED WITH THE CHAMELEON BOOTLOADER

You're going to have to tell us what will happen if you press a key, the suspense........

;)

hmmmmmm. not sure on that one. but i know some bios's let you disable a drive thus allowing you to use a usb external drive

You're going to have to tell us what will happen if you press a key, the suspense........

;)

HAHA... you just get presented with the boot options... all that suspense for nothing

• 2 weeks later...
What if we can't unplug the HDD?

As in, for a laptop.

turn your laptop

on the bottom you can see 2 or 3 lids ( HDD1, RAM, HDD2 )

place a second drive in the second slot and follow the guide

if you really cant remove the drives or you dont have a second slot try to partition your disk

then install mac on the first partition

use a linux live cd to backup the boot sector of the hard disk and save it somewhere (usb drive)

then install vista on the second partition and install easybcd or grub and try around to boot the bootsector-backup

this should work

i tried it on my notebook a while ago with grub (mac & debian) and it worked

Finally someone using to separate disks for the dual boot tutorial!

Thank you for posting this. I'm sure other will appreciate as well.

I do it the same way, however I just hit F12 for boot device and select the drive I want. Works good to. <_<

Nice job.

the reason there hasn't been a tutorial for dual boot on two individual drives is because it's a no-brainer and a tutorial not really necessary. but that is just my opinion.

What if we can't unplug the HDD?

As in, for a laptop.

you turn it off in the BIOS instead of physically unplugging it. That'd be the better way to begin with anyway.

Sorry but the guide is actual....nonsense you could spare your easybcd steps, and just.

1) Plug disk 1, install vista, unplug

2) plug disk 2, install osx, install chameleon 2

3)plug disk 1 and 2, boot from disk 2..

Tada, chameleon will show all partitions on all disks, select osx or vista and you are done........

Sorry but the guide is actual....nonsense you could spare your easybcd steps, and just.

1) Plug disk 1, install vista, unplug

2) plug disk 2, install osx, install chameleon 2

3)plug disk 1 and 2, boot from disk 2..

Tada, chameleon will show all partitions on all disks, select osx or vista and you are done........

didn't want to be that drastic :) . unplugging isn't even necessary if you have a PC that is not ancient. Just do it in the BIOS.