Half-Life 2 and Cider

Enigmoid

2 posts in this topic

I've tried playing Half-Life 2 with Cider on my 13" MacBook Pro (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M) with various wrappers, producing varying levels of success.

The original wrapper plays fine, but as it can only detect my hardware DirectX as 7, as opposed to 9, the graphics are generally sub-par. I am also not allowed to raise shadow detail and water reflections above low and simple, and all other specular reflections are lost.

The wrapper EA used for Spore has better graphics, but numerous glitches and a skewed in-game font.

Another wrapper that I downloaded plays beautifully, but there is absolutely no text whatsoever, even in the menu and game.

Here is a gallery of comparison screenshots. From left to right: Spore, Spore, Original, Original, Internet, Internet.

Since it seems like nothing can be helped as far as graphics go with the first two wrappers, my question is probably how to make text appear with the third wrapper. I've tried putting all sorts of fonts in the windows fonts file, as well as the resource file of Half-Life 2 itself, but text has not yet appeared.

I will be gone for most of today, but I'll be back in the evening to answer any questions you might have. Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1 month later...
I've tried playing Half-Life 2 with Cider on my 13" MacBook Pro (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M) with various wrappers, producing varying levels of success.

The original wrapper plays fine, but as it can only detect my hardware DirectX as 7, as opposed to 9, the graphics are generally sub-par. I am also not allowed to raise shadow detail and water reflections above low and simple, and all other specular reflections are lost.

The wrapper EA used for Spore has better graphics, but numerous glitches and a skewed in-game font.

Another wrapper that I downloaded plays beautifully, but there is absolutely no text whatsoever, even in the menu and game.

Here is a gallery of comparison screenshots. From left to right: Spore, Spore, Original, Original, Internet, Internet.

Since it seems like nothing can be helped as far as graphics go with the first two wrappers, my question is probably how to make text appear with the third wrapper. I've tried putting all sorts of fonts in the windows fonts file, as well as the resource file of Half-Life 2 itself, but text has not yet appeared.

I will be gone for most of today, but I'll be back in the evening to answer any questions you might have. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey, you have gotten pretty far-I can't get it to run at all, even with the Spore wrapper. I think I am missing something simple, any advice would be appreciated!

But I did come across this in my research, this link from TPB:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4372751/Ha...g_works_perfect.

Read the instructions, and let me know if that helps.

{Intel Core2Duo 1.93Ghz; GMA 950; iAtkos 1.7}